Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes music tracks sync to iPhone with wrong data, even though it's listed in iTunes library differently.

Is anyone else encountering an issue where iTunes music tracks in the OS X app sync to iPhone with different(or wrong data), even though it's listed in iTunes library differently?

To give an example with screenshots of what I'm talking about:

A track listed in iTunes with the artist as "Baby Bash featuring Akon", somehow winds up syncing to my iPhone 6 Plus with the artist somehow being listed as "Rasheeda featuring Akon - Super Saucy".

1. In the first screenshot, we can see that when looking at my synced music tracks that the artist displayed is "Rasheeda featuring Akon" and down below we see that the artist Baby Bash is listed. We can see clearly that the album cover shown for Baby Bash even has his name listed. Additionally, we see album covers for the artist, Akon, listed here too which is also incorrectly being displayed.

User uploaded file

2. Looking at the same track for Baby Bash in the iTunes(12.1.0.50), we see that it is listed under the artist name as expected.

User uploaded file

3. Right-clicking on the track and selecting Get Info, we see the artist name listed as "Baby Bash featuring Akon" and not "Rasheeda featuring Akon" on the Details tab as seen in previously in the first screenshot.

User uploaded file

4. Clicking on the Sorting tab, we also see that there is no reference to information that would cause the track to display as "Rasheeda featuring Akon" either.

User uploaded file

At this point, I don't know if there are any other tracks in iTunes that have synced with the iPhone & resulted in wrong or incorrect metadata being written, aside from the example I gave. I've tried a few things to fix this particular issue but nothing has resulted in any success and I'm baffled as to how the information changed when syncing from iTunes to the iPhone.

Any suggestions or assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iPhone 6 Plus - iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 10:59 PM

14 replies

Mar 31, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Decepticon808

You aren't the only one. I have the same issue as you. I would use those screenshots and send it to Apple Support if you can. They need to know that iOS 8.2 is the issue.

I have issues with the & (artist's name) not showing.

For instance on my iPhone it says Pitbull-Time of our Lives-Globalization, but when I looked at my home computer of iTunes it says Pitbull & Ne-Yo. There is a way on iTunes on home computer to see "On your device" with a cell phone icon.

I deleted all my songs on my iPhone5C, did factory reset, then synced my iPhone to my home computer and still had same issues. The thing is I never had issues at all till Wed of last week. That's when I noticed mysteriously that Pitbull song changed artist name all by itself!

Mar 31, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Decepticon808

I am having the same problem as posted here:

iTunes Artist Name Doesn't Transfer to iPhone

No solution has been given yet, but similar to you I have changed the name of some artists so certain songs can be grouped together. But then when I sync it to the phone it reverts back to the artist and album when I first purchased it from iTunes, all though the original artist is no where to be found in the "Get Info" section. You are not the only one, and it is quite annoying to say the least

And similar to the post above me, I also did a factory reset, and a backup restore, to still have the same problem. It's now grouping artists together who shouldn't even be listed together who at no point were done by the same artist.

Apr 1, 2015 11:31 AM in response to mrmet2087

I wonder if we can ask Apple Support to download the problem songs on their own and see if they understand what is up!

But these screenshots do help a lot. Here are my problem songs

This is what SHOULD appear on my iPhone.

1. Bailando por el Mundo (Juan Magan, El Cata & Pitbull) The King Of Dance (Bonus Track Version)
2. Como Yo (Juan Magan & Buxxi) The King Of Dance (Bonus Track Version)
3. Danza Kuduro (feat.Lucenzo) (Don Omar & Lucenzo) Meet The Orphans (Deluxe Edition)
4. No Sigue Modas a.k.A Ella No Sigue Modas (Don Omar & Juan Magan) Don Omar Presents MTO2-New Generation
5. Nota de Amor (feat. Daddy Yankee) Wisin & Carlos Vives Nota de Amor (feat. Daddy Yankee)-Single
6. Time of Our Lives (Pitbull & Ne-Yo) Globalization

For those problem songs I have in bold, on my iPhone it shows up as

You can see that the & (artists name) are all missing.

1. Juan Magan

2. Juan Magan

3. Don Omar

4. Don Omar

5. Wisin

6. Pitbull

Apr 1, 2015 12:45 PM in response to IloveZumba

I Don't think its tied to specific song, like at this point it's effecting songs I've downloaded 3 years ago up until a few days back. It's like its keeping constant communication with iTunes and making the artist name appear and group a certain way, regardless of what I tell it to be. It's very annoying. I would contact Apple support for sure if they don't already know about it and fix it soon hopefully.

Apr 2, 2015 6:35 AM in response to mrmet2087

Have any you tried emailing iTunes store support? I sent them this particular post to them. I think the screenshots of the iTunes store, and then the screenshot of the cell phone itself is good idea.

Did anyone try calling which is the tech support?

United States

1-800-275-2273

mrmet2087, that is surprising how songs that you downloaded three years ago, mysteriously appear wrong on your cell phone. I don't think our cell phones are acting up. It has to be the iOS 8.2 or the iTunes store itself. I deleted iTunes from my home computer, then re downloaded again.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

So now I have the most up to date version of iTunes (12.1.1) on my home computer. But that didn't seem to fix the issue. Did anyone try to upgrade their version of iTunes to see if it fixed the issue?

Anna

Apr 14, 2015 3:00 PM in response to tomolivermann

I just downloaded the new version of iTunes which is 12.1.2 for the computer. I then synced my iPhone5C to it thinking maybe it will fix the problem songs, but so far nothing. I have iOS 8.3 on my iPhone5C. I did synced my iPod Nano 3rd Gen into computer and no issues on my iPod. So it has to be iOS 8.2 and 8.3 causing these change artist names! UGH!!!

Jun 28, 2015 2:13 PM in response to Decepticon808

First of all, thanks for the very detailed description. At least now I know I'm not alone, and your clear description proves that.

I have the exact same problem and it is affecting both my music and videos. It's very random, but appears to be impacting music that "features" a different artist vs. album artist, the most. For instance, Miranda Lambert [f/ Carrie Underwood] is being listed on my iPhone AND iPad for songs that are clearly just Miranda Lambert. Or replacing artist Miranda Lambert with Little Big Town or Blake Shelton! My guess is, that is once again, iTunes is attempting to cross-cross-polinate "like-artists" to generate sales. Which ****** me off. Because when their methodology goes awry, it really screws up. In the Miranda Lambert example, if I control click the the music video info box, guess what shows up under "Related Videos"??? Mr. Lambert (ah, Shelton), himself and Little Big Town. Coincidental? I think not.

In any event, it's very annoying and needs to be fixed. I have a large iTunes library and I'm very meticulous about keeping things properly labeled and synced, and it's extremely annoying when suddenly, 1/3 of your music on your devices are mislabeled and sorted incorrectly as a result. I've tried everything from reseting my iPad/iPhone, to totaling wiping them out and doing complete restores... twice! I tried relabeling the music randomly, then resynching... turning off Wi-Fi, disabling my Apple ID and iCloud... But nothing fixes it.

Help!!!

iTunes music tracks sync to iPhone with wrong data, even though it's listed in iTunes library differently.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.