Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Notes" field on Contacts app is not displaying full notes; any solution?

Hello -

When viewing a contact that does not contain a note, the Note field is displayed showing a lite grey "Notes" heading, and an empty field.

However, when viewing a contact does does contain a note, the "Notes" heading is missing, and only the first few lines of the note is displayed. Tapping "edit" or tapping inside the note itself does not reveal the whole note. The only way I have found to display the entire note is to tap within the field, and then click the "delete" key. Once a character is removed, the entire note is displayed.

This is obviously a pain. Has anyone else seen this behavior, and is there a way to fix it?

I have an iPhone 6, running the most recent iOS, and sync contacts with iCloud. The full note is displayed when viewing iCloud on the web.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 3:28 PM

16 replies

Mar 23, 2015 9:56 AM in response to GadgetGuru72

Hi GadgetGuru72,

If you are having issues with your Contacts Notes field not displaying correctly, you may want to try some things to troubleshoot.

First, quit all running applications and test again -

Force an app to close in iOS

Next, I would try restarting and if needed resetting the iPhone -

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue is still present, you may want to restore the iPhone as a new device -

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Dec 23, 2017 9:21 AM in response to GadgetGuru72

I have this same problem on my iMac desktop (late 2015 OS 10.13.2). Once a note in Contacts gets over a few lines, the bottom part disappears as soon as I am finished typing it, both in the Edit and non-edit mode. The only way to bring it back is to delete a character in the note, which makes it pop into view. Another action and it disappears again. But when I look at the note on my synced iPhone, it is all there.

The Facebook contacts thing doesn't work for me. No Facebook app. I don't even subscribe to Facebook. And have rebooted iMac many times but same problem continues, from a long time back.

Jan 9, 2018 7:58 AM in response to gdmedia

Same issue for me. I noticed that when I added text to a contact's notes on iPhone 7 (iOS 11.2.2) and also on Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013, MacOS 10.13.2) it only showed the first few sentences when I am viewing on the Mac using the Contacts app.

I thought that the notes weren't syncing, but they are - it's just that when viewing on the Mac, after the first few sentences/paragraphs, the text is cut off and not visible on the screen despite there being lots of space available and no scroll bar showing or anything.

It's specifically a Mac Contacts issue (not related to iOS or syncing) - I confirmed this by adding a contact just on Mac and the same issue occurs.

Temporary workaround and video showing the issue
To see the full note on Mac, I click the Edit button and then click in the contact's notes field - and then add a space, or delete a character - and the full note magically appears.

I created a short video to show the bug and the temporary workaround which makes it a lot clearer. I can't upload videos in this comment for some reason, so I've posted it to YouTube at:
https://youtu.be/65Arjv3ueOE

I don't know how to report bugs to Apple for a proper investigation so if anyone knows how, please do so. This bug was initially reported nearly 3 years ago!

"Notes" field on Contacts app is not displaying full notes; any solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.