Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod will charge from Windows 8 Laptop but won't connect to iTunes

I have a 4th Gen iPod 32GB that's about two years old or so. After upgrading to iTunes 12, I could not get my device to so much as charge from my laptop, never mind sync. So after screwing around the control panel and trying to figure this out on my own (because frankly, Apple isn't very helpful) I was able to get the iPod to charge from the laptop, however it still will not even show up on the top left menu bar as seen in the picture. I've tried using the old shut down and restart method, recovery mode, swapping USB ports and cables, even uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Still nothing. So I try it on my Mom's desktop (Windows 7) (iTunes upgraded to 12 there also), and it registers my iPod and it will sync just fine. I've looked at other community threads and the ones I've found are two years old and the advice didn't work for me anyway. Normally, I would just use the desktop iTunes instead but its a completely different library and I've already purchased songs that I want to put on the iPod. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

User uploaded file

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 1:47 AM

See

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable unless you used the same cable on the other computer and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem done

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2015 1:47 AM in response to IPreferOrange

See

- I would start with

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable unless you used the same cable on the other computer and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem done

iPod will charge from Windows 8 Laptop but won't connect to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.