Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 - buzzing sound when SSD being accessed

I've just received a new 13" MacBook Pro with retina display (force touch trackpad etc). When the (1TB) SSD is being accessed there is an electronic buzzing interference sound, not unlike the sound that a HDD makes when being accessed. This didn't happen on my MacBook Air which was silent. Can anyone explain this? I would expect the Mac to be silent apart from the fan but this is unusual. It's not that loud but it seems to me to be defective. I can send the Mac back for a replacement (14 day return) but will the replacement have the same issue - is it expected?

Apple support chat said it doesn't sound right FWIW but they couldn't offer an explanation

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Core i7 and SSD 1TB upgrades

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 3:40 AM

7 replies

Feb 23, 2017 7:56 AM in response to oshiaki

I bought this model from a student, good price etc., and just started using it regularly. But the buzzing is making me nuts. I suspect it has something to do with the haptics in the trackpad, even though I disabled the function. Did you find a solution? I'm making a Genius Bar appointment to find out.

Mar 21, 2015 6:47 AM in response to goldglitter

I don't believe it's the fan, rather some electrical noise when the SSD is being accessed. Whether this is the SSD itself is unknown. I don't see how it could be given it has no moving parts. It's not especially loud, you have to be in a quiet room or put your ear to the keyboard to really hear it. It just doesn't seem normal, my MacBook Air 2011 is silent. I want a silent Mac for £2500!

Apr 10, 2015 1:23 PM in response to oshiaki

Same here (Early 2015 / 256GB SSD / i5 2,9GHz) .

Being in a very quiet room there is definitely some noise coming from the "W" / "E" keyboard area,

when accessing (especially writing on) the SSD but it's also noticeable when scrolling through webpages.

After some googling (there a lot of people with the same "problem") I think that it isn't some sort of defect.

MacBook Pro Retinas apparently tend to produce this very faint so called "coil (whine) noise" coming from inductors inside of it

trying to regulate high voltages. I think that's the tradeoff having such ultra fast SSDs.

(I'm getting around 1200 Write and 1300 Read which is just insane!)

It doesn't bother me that much though, I was just wondering because I couldn't figure out what part the noise is coming from

since there are no moving parts in the MacBook Pros with Retina Display (except for the fan of course).

I won't return my MacBook just to get another one with the same issue (which happened to some of the people)

and apart from this mysterious, faint noise it's perfect.

MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 - buzzing sound when SSD being accessed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.