Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are there no iPhone 6 battery cases with a lightning input port for charging instead of a micro USB?

Why are there no iPhone 6 battery cases with a lightning input port for charging instead of a micro USB?

Does it have something to do with the MFI certification? Is micro USB just cheaper?

I don't want to have to carry around another cable and it seems like this would be a good product. What am I missing?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 24, 2015 7:39 PM

25 replies

Apr 15, 2017 9:11 PM in response to sanjaykd

The case manufactures have to pay a royalty to Apple to put the lightning port on their cases (since they are proprietary and are owned by Apple). They probably already pay for the tip to connect to the iPhone, so might have to pay for 2 licenses. For MicroUSB, they either pay nothing or less to use it

Or my knowledge could be wrong and I've wasted a few minutes of my life

Basically, it's to save money

Mar 25, 2015 5:15 AM in response to sanjaykd

sanjaykd wrote:

Valid point.

So can I ask why there are no MFI certified lightning female ports on battery cases? Or more so, does this certification even exist?

And why not?

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. There is no one here from Apple to answer "why". Again, I would recommend contacting the manufacturers or use the Contact Us link at the bottom right of every page for information on how to contact Apple directly.

I suspect that manufacturers may view the more standard microUSB charging port as a selling point. Those types of cables are cheaper and ubiquitous.

Sep 8, 2015 8:51 PM in response to sanjaykd

Why, oh why can you all not understand marketing and merchandising 101?

Firstly, you create a "proprietary port". Anyone wants to use it they pay the original licensee and patent owner. It has nothing to do with a "non-licensing of ports". They do want to "license the port". It is rather the number of licenses for the ports per device sold. Remember the Apple ipod and iphone 4 and their predecessors? The big honking 30 pin? What happens when your patent runs out and people don't need to pay licensing fees anymore? Bing! Create a new "Lightning Port", "Thunderbolt Port", The "Apple iPorts"

It's like big pharma. Your patent runs out on a drug and generics are coming out, Rebrand the drug with a new name and ever so slightly different process, Essentially the "same thing", give it a new name and have potentials ask their doctor for it. Its patented again. No generics for a whole lot of months to split market share with. Not that taking this stuff has side effects similar to what you are to take it for associated with a 'slight' case of death.

NO, Apple is playing us all smart. Just to get the licensing to get the male lightening adapter in is one thing, You HAVE TO HAVE this port to charge the phone. Bing! One license. Did you want it "apple certified"? You don't "need it". It is just frowned upon by your customer if you don't.

Oh, you want it "Apple Certified"? Sure, Bing! More Money!

Now after all this capital investment so far, there is yet another license for a "female" lightening port. Ahhh yes and that one needs to be licensed as well. Now if my count is correct, were at 2 ports and 2 certifications?

What is the license on a standardized usb port? Right, nada. Which is why most manufacturers make it a standard micro usb. You can save "Dollars Per Unit". Maybe its smart, maybe its cheaping out. You decide.

What about Apple buying Beats by Dr Dre? It is going to have yet another proprietary audio port and plug change. Just like the new Macs and eliminating all our "ports" You now need more of their converters, plugs, ports, etc. Beats items will plug right in. Can anyone make things with the Beats port? Why glad you asked, YES! provided of course a licensing fee to the patent holder per port, per device. No, were not monopolizing anything, anyone can buy licensing to our ports and we will even certify them to be completely compatible and equivalent to our own parts.You want it apple certified? You don't "need it".

What about Paypal, Square and such readers that use the Audio Port? New device design or converter is needed like the new chip card readers.

I think you get the point now. End Speech.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.