Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open projects

How do I open previously composed projects?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 6:39 AM

16 replies

Mar 25, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Kookaburra308

If you're in 10.1 and up, you open the library that contains the project. That can be done from the fInder or from within the UI. Once the library is open, double click the project.

If you're on an earlier version of FCP X, you locate the project from the Project Library inside the Final Cut UI. If the project is on a mounted drive and it is stored in a place where the app can see it, you will be able to open it.

Russ

Mar 26, 2015 12:52 AM in response to Kookaburra308

Kookaburra308 wrote:

… But I must be missing something absurdly obvious to everyone else, as I don't see an icon for the project within an event which is within a library.

two options:

a) You're not using an uptodate version of FCPX => legacy versions didn't store Projects in the corresponding Event

b) You hadn't done Projects, but 'edited' within Events, e.g. processing a Multicam or other Compound clip ...

@ a) check vers. # of FCPX in use...

@ b) check your workflow ... >(sorry for sounding cheeky, but … just to exclude the obvious) 😉

Mar 26, 2015 7:17 AM in response to Kookaburra308

A Library holds all Events and Projects that have been directed into that Library.

You can have more than one Library.

You should know how many Libraries are on your system or attached drives.

While opening FCP X you can hold the Option key to give you a start off point:

User uploaded file

Click a Library name shown as above if that is where your Project is stored.

If the Library in question is not shown, click Locate and navigate to it's location on your Mac or attached drive/s.

Another place to look is the default location:

Macintosh HD>Users>Home name>Movies>Library name.

User uploaded file

You should see a name with the blue icon as above.

Al

Mar 27, 2015 5:46 AM in response to Alchroma

DDear Alchroma,

Thank you for the information about the clapper icon for projects. I have three libraries with up to 15 events

THe information about the clapper was useful to me because it answered Karstens? Question as to whether I had any projects.

However, whilst I can access my libraries and their events, I only know how to access the project I'm working on at the time.

I Do not know how to access the three projects created prior to the one I'm working on at the moment. I have burnt the other three projects to disk, but can't access them in fcpx, though I'm sure they're in there somewhere, with some very simple method of access.

hope you can help:-)

regards

Mar 27, 2015 6:20 AM in response to Kookaburra308

In the Finder, if you open the library (right click and choose Show Package Contents) you will see at least one Event folder. In the screen shot below that was named by its creation date 10-16-2014 (if I had had multiple events in this library I would have given them more evocative names).

The folders that I have circled are all projects that are part of that event.

User uploaded file

If you do not see your project folders inside your event, you may have deleted them -– or, as suggested by the others. never actually created any projects ib the first place. However, one last place to check: open your Final Cut Backups folder and check inside the backup libraries. (Take care not to move or alter the contents.)

In addition to the excellent advice you are receiving from Al and Karsten, you may find it helpful to take a look at the section here on projects

Russ

Mar 27, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Kookaburra308

If you indeed created projects and not edited inside a clip timeline, those projects will be right there in the events, alongside clips.

It is very easy to search for projects, as it is to search for just about anything in FCP.

Select your library and click the little magnifying glass above the browser.

User uploaded file

Click the plus button in the "Filter" window and choose "Type", and select "Project".

Then all you'll see in the browser will be projects and nothing else. If there are no projects, then you'll know that you must have edited inside a clip's timeline - that is a common beginner's mistake.

User uploaded file

By the way, to clear the filter and go back to showing everything click the little "x" button

User uploaded file

Mar 27, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Alchroma

Hi Al,

I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. Not that I'm sure that I'm out of the woodwork yet, but I suspect I haven't been creating projects in the first three cases. I'll get a chance in a couple of days to have another go at creating a new project and will let you know how I go.

Once again, my sincere thanks for everyone's assistance in helping a rank novice lol, and I do hope that in time I might be able to help someone else in return.

Regards

Anthony

How to open projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.