Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac WiFi times out all the time, have tried every solution available online and each works for about 5 minutes. What next?

My mac refuses to connect to the WiFi, I have tried resetting **** near everything, I have tried every bizarre little troubleshoot I could find online and each works for about 5 minutes before the WiFi times out again and then that particular method won't work a second time.

Luckily I have a 12 year old PC that has never been upgraded and works far more efficiently otherwise I wouldn't be able to post this.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2015 9:06 AM

5 replies

Mar 26, 2015 10:14 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Fair enough.

Followed that link, tried it, it worked, for about 5 minutes, now it doesn't work again and that method won't work at all a second time.

I don't know much about computers but I can tell you I've reset the DHCP, then I changed the location name as suggested online, then I connected using my iPhone Personal Hotspot, then I deleted and rebooted the source files and manually configured the hardware (suggested from that link as well), and they all worked for about five minutes before breaking again and now won't work a second time.

This is a very basic level of functionality we're talking about here so surely there's a simple solution. Plugging in an ethernet cable renders the problem moot and the internet works fine but this is not a practical solution in my current set up, I just thought I'd mention it in case it seemed relevant.

Mar 26, 2015 11:50 AM in response to KristianJMD

KristianJMD wrote:

Fair enough.

Followed that link, tried it, it worked, for about 5 minutes, now it doesn't work again and that method won't work at all a second time.

I don't know much about computers but I can tell you I've reset the DHCP, then I changed the location name as suggested online, then I connected using my iPhone Personal Hotspot, then I deleted and rebooted the source files and manually configured the hardware (suggested from that link as well), and they all worked for about five minutes before breaking again and now won't work a second time.

This is a very basic level of functionality we're talking about here so surely there's a simple solution. Plugging in an ethernet cable renders the problem moot and the internet works fine but this is not a practical solution in my current set up, I just thought I'd mention it in case it seemed relevant.

Many users problems are attributed to their router and/or modem even if WI-FI works okay with other devices (PC's, phones, printers, etc...) The first thing to do is to reset your router and modem and ensure the firmware installed in them is up-to-date. If you don't use an Apple router then you will need to check how to do this with the mfg. of the router you own. If you happen to have an Apple router then open the Mac App Store and click updates, if you have an Apple router that needs an update the update will appear in the Mac App Store's update section.

Apr 2, 2015 8:20 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi Guys,

I am experiencing pretty much the same as Kristian...lately wifi has been nearly non existent and I first complained to my internet provider (Orange Spain) who have been to the central a couple of times...My windows 7 and Windows 8 machines plus iPads and iPhones are not having issues. Router has been reset various times, Mac Mini re-booted several times - wifi turned of (several times)

I have also been trying various fixes as found on the web but as I can now see that this is not an isolated problem for me I am hoping that my post will add to the haste with which Apple solve this...

I have Mac Mini from mid 2010 with Yosemite.

Kind regards, Nicolas

Mac WiFi times out all the time, have tried every solution available online and each works for about 5 minutes. What next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.