Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not using Default Account for outgoing email

When I email an item (say, a photo) from *outside* of the Mail app, I want to send that item via my "personal" email, not via my work email.

My personal email is entered as the "Default Account" for email in Settings.

I did experience the desired behavior for several months, but recently all such emails are using only my outgoing work server for sending!

When I email a photo (say, from within the Photos app) my personal email *is* displayed on the "From:" line but the server that actually does the sending is my work server!

This happens on both my iPhone and iPad, both running 8.2. It used to work correctly on both.

The failure/bug *might* have started just after my 8.2 update but I can't be sure...but the timing is right...

The tips in this old thread discussing a similar problem have not worked for me:

Emails not using default email address

TIA,

MJ

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 11:21 AM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2015 10:55 AM in response to MJ

Update

I did this experiment: I completely deleted my Work email from Settings. Rebooted phone. Then I added my Work account back, making sure my Personal email account was still set as the default account.

I don't know if it matters, but my Work account is an IMAP account and my Personal account is a Gmail account.

After I did this, the "correct" behavior was observed -- photos sent via the Photos app used my Personal account for sending. Sadly, that only lasted for about 4 photos -- then the phone reverted to the behavior above; it VISUALLY indicated (during composition) that my Personal (Gmail) account was being used for sending, but in actual fact it was using my Work (IMAP) account for sending.

So...I still have this problem.

TIA,

MJ

Apr 3, 2015 9:14 AM in response to MJ

Another Update:

I changed my Work email account *from* IMAP *to* Exchange. (We have the IMAP/Exhcange option at my work...not sure if that is typical or not. I am a long-time IMAP user so that is typically what I choose.)

So far, with my Work email now under Exchange, my "wrong default account" problems have disappeared.

-MJ

iPhone not using Default Account for outgoing email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.