Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KVM with DVI and mini DP compatibility? old and new mac pro to one monitor?

i need to buy one of these to replace a belkin model that i think may have failed (either that or it is my video card) and i just started to wonder if i should spend the money on a KVM switch instead. basically i am buying this converter to TEST if my current adapter is not working.

http://www.kanex.com/c247dl

i am assuming that getting a KVM switch will be able to test this in the same manner but also give me the added option of /switching/ between my 2006 and the newer 2012 model.

i am having a bit of a hard time navigating the IO gear website and my terminology searching may not be optimal either. can anyone help me with this please? presumably i need a "mini DP and DVI KVM switch"?

THANKS

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 2:11 AM

Please describe your problem better. Include ehat outputs are on the tow Mac and what inputs are available on the monitor an what is the monitor's resolution.

I really also do not understand what connections you want on the KVM switch.

9 replies

Mar 29, 2015 6:20 AM in response to lllaass

thanks. sorry.

mac pro 1,1 can accept DVI

mac pro 5,1 accepts mini Display Port

cinema display has mini Display Port out

so to manually switch between two computers I have a belkin "mini DP to DVI" converter and the 5,1 just accepts the mini DP.

rather than replace the belkin (it may be broke) I thought there was an off chance I could buy a KVM so i don't switch manually....

may ay not keep older computer but I might...

Mar 29, 2015 11:58 AM in response to lllaass

ach. i was replying from my phone and i said belkin instead of gefen.

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-EXT-DVI-2-MDP/dp/B002QPWB EK

so here is the full deal:

my older mac pro required this cable because the cinema display only had a mini Display Port out. now this computer is starting up and i can feel the video card whirring but the screen is all black. i can also hear a chime through the cinema display (not sure if these means anything other than that the USB connection is working) if i option boot.

i know the screen is good since i hook it up to the 2012 mac pro with Mini Display Port IN connection.

so the dilemma is whether to buy a new converter for the older mac pro OR to just buy a new display card since the new card will presumably have a mini Display Port IN connection OR whether i can just buy a KVM switch which i would need anyway if i kept the older machine around for one reason or another (like running windows XP in boot camp).

i /think/ i know the answer to this question but i was wondering if there was such a thing as a KVM switch that would accept a Mini Display OUT from my monitor but also be able to hook up to my Mini DP IN 2012 mac pro /and/ my DVI IN 2006 mac pro.

Mar 29, 2015 1:31 PM in response to lllaass

OK. so for an extra hundred dollars (compared to buying a converter) i can get this 5770 video card that has two mini DP ports and which will be compatible with my cinema display is that right? then i am guessing i can buy a mini DP KVM switch if i decide to keep the computer (assuming it solves the video problem). does that sound about right?

Apple-firmware 5770 1GB, about US$250** works near full speed in every model Mac Pro, Drivers in 10.6.5. (discontinued)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-default-graphics-cards -dvi-dual-link-mini-displayport.html

-

Mid-2010

ATI Radeon HD 5770

1 GB GDDR5

2 Mini DP
1 DL DVI

Mid-2012

ATI Radeon HD 5770

1 GB GDDR5

2 Mini DP
1 DL DVI

Mar 29, 2015 5:13 PM in response to lllaass

hi. /thanks/ for all the help.

just thinking here tonight but do you know if i can bring this mac pro into the genius bar and ask them if i /need/ a new video card? i mean, the guys at the mac store always look at you with three eyes when you explain to them you need a mini DP to DVI converter to get your mac pro hooked up to your cinema display so i am guessing that if i want anyone to trouble shoot this i may have to bring in my own adapter? or maybe if i drop it off at a local third party mac store they can check it? then again this will probably cost me something shy of 100 dollars anyway so maybe i should just get the new mini DP compatible video card and not worry about buying a new converter cable?

any thoughts? my brain seems to be fried from all my upgrade issues...

KVM with DVI and mini DP compatibility? old and new mac pro to one monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.