Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed maximum 4 x 8gb memory modules into iMac 27 late 2013 i7 3.5 ghz quad. Crashing hourly reporting kernel panics. What is the fix? Less memory?

Installed maximum 4 x 8gb memory modules into iMac 27 late 2013 i7 3.5 ghz quad. Crashing hourly reporting kernel panics. What is the fix? Less memory?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 27 late 2013 3.5ghz i7 fusion quad

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 9:44 AM

8 replies

Mar 29, 2015 9:47 AM in response to marcfromlondon

It's possible that the RAM chips you've installed aren't one of the known 'good' brands. There are lots of threads on here where users have experienced exactly the problem you describe with some RAM modules. The solution is normally to drop down to less RAM or, better still, swap the modules for known good brands:

https://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?type=discussion&showAnsweredFirst=true &q=imac+crashing+with+32gb+RAM

Mar 29, 2015 4:44 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your comments. The RAM is direct from Crucial UK and they specified it over the phone for my iMac. I get the feeling from the blogs the 27 late 2013's don't like 32GB. If this is the case is there a maximum that it will be stable with? Can I mix the original 2 x 4GB Apple modules with say 2 x Crucial 8GB modules? (20GB)? Or should I limit it to just 2 x 8GB? The Crucial memory is labelled CT8G3S 160BMCEU, 8GB DDR3L 1600 SODIMM MAC.

Mar 29, 2015 5:09 PM in response to marcfromlondon

Yes, you can mix/match. Put back the original RAM in the slots they were in (I assume that would have been slots 1 + 3 from the top (of the way you are looking at it) and then put in the other two in slots 2 + 4. This will result in a pic graphic in your system report as having them matched horizontally which is the right thing (don't ask - Apple changed the configuration of the slots, but not the graphic of it).

There was a big problem with 2010 27" iMacs not accepting the full complement of third party RAM - as long as you had the OEM RAM and didn't go to the max total, the third party RAM was fine (while they were fine with all OEM RAM). So, maybe that is still a concern - I don't know. I'd definitely say try it with 2 of the RAM modules from Crucial. If that works, simply try to return the others as not compatible.

Mar 30, 2015 1:51 AM in response to marcfromlondon

marcfromlondon wrote:

... I get the feeling from the blogs the 27 late 2013's don't like 32GB. ...

This is only true if RAM is of mediocre quality or if there is in fact a bad

chip.

I had installed 32GB of PNY memory that was supposedly Mac compatible

in my 2013 27" iMac and had all manor of issues similar to what you had.

When it was running Mavericks, the issues were occasional but became

exacerbated after the Yosemite update. I replaced it with 32GB of OWC

RAM and have been running problem free ever since.

Apr 4, 2015 9:12 AM in response to babowa

Thanks all - in particular babowa. I removed 2 x 8GB crucial modules and reinstalled the original Apple 2 x 4GB modules as you suggested - reducing memory from 32GB to 24GB. Machine is now stable. From this experience and comments from others the most likely cause is that the machine cannot run stable with a full compliment of 32GB of third party (Crucial) memory - only Apple supplied modules seem to be work. But you will have to pay twice the price.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.