Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm Curious about my iPhone Model Number

Hello Support Community,

I am the owner of a factory unlocked / SIM-free Space Grey 64GB iPhone 6, model A1586. Maybe you can satisfy the curiosity I have about my iPhone's model number that google returns a "your search - ng4f2ll/a - did not match any documents" when I tried to search it on google.

My model number should be "MG4F2LL/A" but when I got to "Settings > General > About > Model" my phone is shown as "NG4F2LL/A"

User uploaded file

I was wondering why my phone's model starts with an "N" rather than a "M?"

I know it's a very small detail that I should overlook, but I'm just curious. I've sort of become an Apple Product junkie and this quirk about my phone makes me wonder, what's the difference?

Everymac.com says that my specific phone (Global/Sprint/A1586) should be a "MG4F2LL/A" but it isn't.

"The factory unlocked models in the US with 16 GB, 64 GB, and 128 GB of storage, respectively, are MG482LL/A, MG4H2LL/A, and MG4C2LL/A in silver; MG492LL/A, MG4J2LL/A, and MG4E2LL/A in gold; and MG472LL/A, MG4F2LL/A, and MG4A2LL/A in "space" gray."

Any hardcore Apple junkies or someone else have an idea or clue as to the difference? What makes "n" different from "m?"

I'm curious to know. Thanks everyone!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, Factory Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 11:29 AM

9 replies

Mar 29, 2015 6:13 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Interesting. I mean it's only off by one letter, the "m" is replaced by a "n" and from other threads I read, it's Apple's way of distinguishing a replacement / service unit from the original store retail unit but that isn't the case with your replacement.

So I wonder why even label them differently? If it's not to distinguish replacement / refurbished / remanufactured from original store retail models. There has to be a reason, or why not just leave it as "M?"

Can anyone else chime in? What's the difference between "MG4F2LL/A" and "NG4F2LL/A?"

I'm more curious than anything else.

Mar 30, 2015 12:34 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Interesting: I had an iPad2 that got broken after two and a half years (problems with the sensors I think it was), then I got (paid for 😢) a replacement iPad2 (this long after there were already new iPads introduced). Both modelnumbers were starting with M. Of course this "new" ipad may have been new and not a refurbished one....

Do they really refurbish iPhones? And if they do, would they be changing the modelnumber. I doubt that. I am more and more curious how Apple does this "replacing".

Lex

I'm Curious about my iPhone Model Number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.