Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to extend my ranged network via an airport express already extended from an extreme? My hub is the extreme to express and then to a second express?

Is it possible to extend my ranged network via an airport express already extended from an extreme?

My hub is the extreme <ethernet> to express and then <ethernet> to a second express

I made the guess that the LAN port on the second express should then be able to again be extended to the WAN port of the third express.

Thank you for the support!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:31 AM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2015 11:27 PM in response to smiwiiis

I believe I may have simplified does too much. I have the first express set up to the extreme working without any problems via Ethernet. However I cannot connect the second express via ethernet from the first express. The second express stays orange and is not discoverable in the network.

Is there a specific setting I would need to change on either of the express boxes to extend the network via Ethernet to the second box?

I have seen in other posts that the second box would need to be set for "create a network" and use the wireless configurations to ensure a seamless exchange, but I cannot get that far with the second express not being able to join via the Ethernet cable.

Apr 2, 2015 12:11 AM in response to smiwiiis

It sounds like you have the configuration of the first Express wrong.

When you setup roaming network the airport should be in bridge mode.. ie

User uploaded file

And the wireless should be in create a wireless network.. It must not be extend.

User uploaded file

Create a wireless network of the same name and with the same security and password.

Do remember the express is only 100mbit so it will cause slowdown if you are really pushing the network on both Express.

If you have trouble with the setup.. remember the two express should be identical.. Once you setup the first express, swap it for the second and do the setup again.. both should be identical but they need to have different names..

Please keep all names.. base and wireless short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

Passwords the same but can be longer... so names <8 characters is excellent.. passwords >8 characters mixed case and numbers.

Apr 2, 2015 3:11 AM in response to smiwiiis

Thanks for the screenshots..

Apple used to say network names should not exceed 27 characters.. but those documents have been edited or deleted.

I can only find server info which now has the total name setting as 89.. OS X Server: Avoid spaces and long names in network home directory name and path - Apple Support

Even if this is server, that is total length and with the full URL address it is best to use much shorter names.. some characters are not treated well in SMB networks.. Apple converts apostrophe to nothing.. and replaces spaces with underscores.. so it is better to start with the same name as it will be converted into anyway.

Here is the naming conventions you should stick to. Best practice.

OS X: Cross-platform filename best practices and conventions - Apple Support

It has to do with share names.. So I think for one thing your names are much too long.

Do you have a Mac running any OS to setup the Express you can use Windows with v5 utility.. Mac with v5 or v6 utility..

If the auto setup is having trouble simply use manual setup.

Airtport Utility can't find Airport Time Capsule on either of my 2009 Macs

I am not sure you can do it like this from an ipad though.

Is it possible to extend my ranged network via an airport express already extended from an extreme? My hub is the extreme to express and then to a second express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.