Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Characters Missing in PDF

I just created a Pages document with a table and in two different cells I typed '20th Century Fox.' I used Superscript (Format>Font>Baseline>Superscript) to elevate the 'th' in '20th.' It looks fine in Pages but when I Export to PDF, everything after the '20' in those cells disappears.

I think this has to be a bug as I cannot figure out what sort of user error could cause this. Has anyone else seen this and do you have a workaround?

Pages:User uploaded file PDF:User uploaded file

Martin

Pages 5.2

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), FCP 7, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 9:55 AM

17 replies

Apr 3, 2015 10:13 AM in response to VikingOSX

You have got to be kidding. I bought my MacBook Pro at an Apple Store with Mavericks pre-installed in late October. I kept Mavericks running because of specific software conflicts, but I've updated all software as it became available. As far as I'm aware, I never had a chance to download 5.2.2. Now I can't get it?

I will not rant, I will not rant, I will not rant,

Martin

Apr 3, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Martin Nelson

On Mountain Lion, one would be warned in the OS X App Store that Pages v5 was incompatible, but if your version of Pages ’09 was not at v4.3, the App Store would offer to upgrade it for you. There is a slim to none chance that this might work in Mavericks to get you to v5.2.2 — but I suspect that unless you know someone that has v5.2.2 installed (have usb stick will travel) — you are stuck with Pages v5.2.

The free LibreOffice, and Word in Office for Mac 2015 Preview both export correctly to PDF, the superscript cell contents.

Apr 20, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Martin Nelson

I feel like I've just spotted the Abominable Snowman. I received an email from Apple based on this thread. Has anyone ever heard directly from Apple on one of these forums? You think it's some odd sort of spam? I've waited to post about it because I feared, like the Yeti, they might scare off easily. Since they haven't written back to my reply, I'll post the conversation here:

We have heard about your issue from the discussion thread below:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6931276

We would like to know if you would be able to provide the following:

- OSX and Pages versions

- a copy of the Pages document that shows characters missing after exporting to PDF

Thank you,

The iWork Team

I wrote them back with the three pieces of information they asked for —two of which were in the thread— but nothing so far.

Martin

Apr 21, 2015 3:48 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

The current Apple mindset appears geared to driving customers toward the most recent, main version of OS X if they want application updates. The elimination of prior application versions from the OS X App Store reinforces this herd management. Those that choose, or have no choice to remain behind, are provided no encouragement in the form of software updates to older products.

May 3, 2015 7:27 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

The current Apple mindset appears geared to driving customers toward the most recent, main version of OS X if they want application updates. The elimination of prior application versions from the OS X App Store reinforces this herd management. Those that choose, or have no choice to remain behind, are provided no encouragement in the form of software updates to older products.

Fine, so they don't continue to update software not intended for the current OS. Is it too much for them to keep available updates they have created for very recent operating systems? It seems like almost a bully mentality. (and I choose 'bully' because all the adjectives that came to me before it were inappropriate for polite discourse)

May 3, 2015 8:49 PM in response to Martin Nelson

Martin Nelson wrote:

Fine, so they don't continue to update software not intended for the current OS. Is it too much for them to keep available updates they have created for very recent operating systems? It seems like almost a bully mentality. (and I choose 'bully' because all the adjectives that came to me before it were inappropriate for polite discourse)

Apple has always been an iron fist in a velvet glove. Lately the pretense of the glove has been slipping.

Peter

May 3, 2015 9:47 PM in response to Martin Nelson

Hello

I suggest that you abandon the doomed Pages v5 and use the far superior Pages v4 unless you have particular reason to choose the former.

If you don't have Pages v4, you might obtain iWork '09 DVD package quite cheaply from various sources such as amazon or ebay. Just remember to apply the following updater before running iWork '09 programmes under OS X 10.7 or later.

iWork 9.3

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563

Just my thought.

H

Characters Missing in PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.