Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased wrong OS for my MacBook model

I just want to know if I can switch my purchase to the proper OS that I need for this model? I'm currently running OS X 10.6.8

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2015 10:43 AM

23 replies

Apr 5, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Lanny

I did actually:

"I'm currently running Mac OS X (10.6.8), on my MacBook."

Sorry if I was vague, I apologize.

The only thing I know of the "model" is, I know its from around 2007-2008.

Old, white 'MacBook' with OS X (10.6.8). I apologize that I don't know more I bought it from a friend a few years ago.

Recently I've been doing digital art for schooling and my career on my other, Windows operated laptop.

I wish to continue my artwork over to my MacBook since it's easier and I can get the full potential of my drawing pad, from using a Mac.

I plugged my Wacom drawing tablet into my MacBook, via USB and it said it cannot download the driver to install it, because I need to have a better OS running at least:

"System RequirementsUSB port, internet connection
Windows 8, Windows®7 SP1 or Windows® Vista SP2
Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later (Intel® processor)
"

Which is, what I currently have but once plugged in, I was interrupted by a dialogue prompt saying I needed to have at least Lion or better installed. I purchased OS Mountain Lion from the store for $19.99. Received the redeemable code today (24 hours after purchasing). As I redeem the code, I receive yet another message telling me that Mountain Lion cannot be installed on this model MacBook (probably because it is prehistoric) so I was wondering, what OS should I have purchased to upgrade from this 10.6.8 Snow Leopard or whatever I have? And if anyone could inform me as to how I find out what exact model MacBook I have I'd greatly appreciate it and gladly post it on here so you know incase you need that information to help me.

I've gone to the top left of my desktop, clicked the Apple logo and went to "About this MacBook..." and that's how I found what version of OS X I currently have. Again, sorry for the confusion, no need to be rude, I'm new to this and these products (since it's such older technology.)

So, since you have to know exactly what I purchased:

OS Mountain Lion

What I need to know is, how can I get a refund, if not a refund, is there a way someone in Apple could possibly just let me return Mountain Lion in exchange, for the correct OS I need to upgrade my current OS? Sorry for the confusion and thank you again.

Apr 5, 2015 6:07 PM in response to ZinskiStarr

"I'm currently running Mac OS X (10.6.8), on my MacBook."

That is not specific.

Click on the Apple Menu's, "About This Mac," then press the "More Info" button, and read off the model identifier number, i.e., MacBook4,1.

Once it's identified, we can confirm whether you are limited to Lion.

What I need to know is, how can I get a refund, if not a refund, is there a way someone in Apple could possibly just let me return Mountain Lion in exchange, for the correct OS I need to upgrade my current OS? Sorry for the confusion and thank you again.

You would have to call Apple and asked them, we're just users like yourself.

Apr 6, 2015 7:31 AM in response to ZinskiStarr

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

• MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Do a backup before installing.

If your computer isn’t compatible, you might be able to upgrade to Lion.

Feb 9, 2016 5:13 PM in response to Csound1

Please make sure to read the thread before responding. The comment is regarding a PURCHASE that was made later, not about software that was already installed or had been available for free at one point. The cost of the purchase was $21.79.

You can download current OS only if your computer is compatible with it, so your statement is not completely accurate. The intention was to bring the iMac to a point where it could be upgraded to the latest OS, but Mountain Lion is not compatible with it, only Lion is, which means this particular iMac cannot be upgraded to the latest OS.

Feb 9, 2016 5:25 PM in response to Csound1

This is for an iMac that was purchased at work, not my personal computer. It came with Snow Leopard, and based on the specs posted on some forums here it appeared Snow Leopard could in fact be upgraded to Mountain Lion so the OS was purchased through Apple, but when the purchase was redeemed the OS would not download and a message saying that the purchase could not be downloaded because it was not compatible with this particular model. That was my mistake in not understanding the specs properly. I thought an exchange of the purchase would be possible so that instead of being stuck with Mountain Lion we could get Lion, but Apple policies do not allow that to happen. The sale of the OS based on their policies is final, with no option for exchange or refund.

Purchased wrong OS for my MacBook model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.