Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All folders on my iMac are in alphabetical order, however, when I save an item to a folder they are not. Why?

All folders on my iMac are in alphabetical order, however, when I save an item to a folder they are not. Why?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 6, 2015 2:18 PM

16 replies

Apr 6, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your reply Kappy!

When I try to save an email or any document and go the folder I want to save it in, the folder with the list of items & other folders does not appear in A to Z order. They are all mixed up and it takes time to try and find the folder within the folder to save. If I open the folder, they are in alphabetical order but not when I want to save to that folder.

Apr 6, 2015 3:35 PM in response to garry34

Sorry, I don't understand. All folder setups are individually set since Mavericks. Only sub-folders may inherit the settings of the parent folder provided you have the parent configured properly for what you want. For a sub-folder to inherit the parent's settings it must be created from within the parent folder.

Apr 7, 2015 12:39 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for helping BDAqua

No it doesn't.

If I go to that folder afterwards, it is all in alphabetical order.

If I am working in Quickbooks, Mail or QuarkXpress and go to a folder from those programs the folder is out of order and I waste a lot of time

searching through the folder looking for what I want. This never used to be a problem until the last couple of months.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.