Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will apple unlock its NFC technology for iPhone6 and iPhone6 Plus?

I'm an iPhone 6 owner, and I'm building an application that requires Near Field Communication (NFC) technology for a Peer-to-Peer mode.

NFC is a short-range, wireless connectivity technology designed to be intuitive. For info on NFC check http://www.nxp.com/documents/brochure/75017587.pdf

Near Field Communication (NFC) is found only on two of apples devices, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and it enables simplified transactions, data exchange, pairing, wireless connections, and convenience between two objects when in close proximity to one another (up to 10 cm apart). However this technology is locked on both devices, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and therefore my application is useless for these devices and a huge drawback for apple and for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners.

Does anyone know if apple plans to unlock its NFC technology on these devices? If yes, when? and if not, why?

Thanks

Nicholas

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3, iPhone6 Plus

Posted on Apr 7, 2015 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 5:25 AM

Speculation is not allowed in the forums.

5 replies

Will apple unlock its NFC technology for iPhone6 and iPhone6 Plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.