Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

free space off after upgrading to iOS 8.3

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 8.3 and now the free space reported by iTunes 12.1.1 is wrong. If I do a hard reset of my iPhone, it actually displays the correct value briefly before changing to the wrong one.

Here's what the values are, first is the first displayed "right" one and second is the updated "wrong" one:

Audio: 56.4, 314.9 MB (41 songs)

Photos: 455.4 MB, 355.4 MB (754 photos)

Apps: 17.62 GB, 16.10 GB (370 apps)

Docs & Data: 1.67 GB, 1.19 GB

Other: 1.99 GB, 1.77 GB

Free: 4.96 GB, 7.05 GB

Is anyone seeing this discrepency with iTunes for Windows after upgrading to iOS 8.3?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, AT&T 32 GB

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 7:01 PM

Same thing happened on my iPad Air 2. iTunes Free space suddenly jumped up 4 GB and all the other data values shrunk to various degrees.

47 replies

Apr 9, 2015 6:28 PM in response to Morac

I have similar issue. I did notice this in 8.3 b4. That was the only beta i loaded of 8.3, so not sure if it was there earlier. I believe all the categories except the Other and Photos category are correct. iTunes is showing an extra 7 gig of Other that should be showing up in Photos, yet Photos is showing the correct number of pics. Really weird. Yeah, I just checked them again. I think documents and data space is wrong too... 8.2 wasn't like this. 8.3 seems to work fine. Maybe iTunes needs an update, or iOS does... I think I'll report this as a bug..

Apr 9, 2015 7:27 PM in response to xboxbmliphone

I also noticed that iCloud wasn't being reported correctly either. This is very misleading. I think iCloud total storage was showing as 1.0 gb. and 873 mb available? Obviously that's not correct. We all have 5.0 gb total by default. I know I only have around 200-300mb in there. Really strange. I went ahead and loaded 8.2 back on as it is still currently being signed. All better. All categories reporting correctly now. I don't normally use backups so no problems for me. The normal user could not do this without losing data....I don't have data to lose...I will definitely be reporting this as a bug..

Apr 10, 2015 8:16 AM in response to xboxbmliphone

Total agreement here. Although I thought I saw the discrepancy circa iOS 8.2 but could be wrong. Not sure which is to blame, iTunes or iOS. Prob a bit of both. I don't look as closely as you but the free space on my devices (iPhone and iPad) are reported differently to iTunes when sync'd. iTunes seems to think I have more space available than the phone reports.

I'd be inclined to say iOS 8 is the candidate for being incorrect. If I look at my devices under usage, it will tell me how much is used. But if I painstakingly add up and reconcile everything listed underneath it never adds up. There is between 2 to 3 gigs that cannot be accounted for. I realise some of it is other but where is the rest? But then on iTunes when sync'ing my iPhone, the other section only shows as about 1.2 gigs in size (probably to be expected) but this is different to the missing 2.5 gigs when adding up everything from actually within the phone settings under usage.

Apr 11, 2015 12:31 AM in response to Morac

I am also having the same issue since iOS 8.3 / latest OS X Yosemite or iTunes update. It is unclear to me which is the main culprit. I have the latest versions of all of them before I noticed this issue today.

iOS 8.3

OS X 10.10.3

iTunes 12.1.2.27

"Free Space" shows as 10.14 GB in iTunes.

"Free Space" shows as 7.2 GB in iOS.

Difference of nearly 3 GB.

I have reported it to Apple via the "Feedback Assistant" I have from the betas of 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3. Note I was on the complete release as of this writing, not the beta.

Apr 15, 2015 2:40 AM in response to Morac

Even in my iPhone 5 64GB after 8.2 upgrade i m having issues with the iTunes sync. The free space its displaying is not correct.

Its like this for me.

Music iOS: 12.1GB iTunes: 12.1GB

Photos iOS: 9.1GB iTunes: 182MB

Videos iOS: 700MB iTunes: 700MB

Apps iOS: 21.5GB iTunes: 21.5GB

Other iOS: 450MB iTunes: 10.8GB.

iTunes is not allowing me to sync extra app data like videos to VLC player. Its showing delete apps or any other to sync. Insufficient free space to continue sync.

If I flash back iOS 8.2 i m not having issues with the iTunes. Its showing proper space. Issue is with iTunes version. But i m using the latest version of iTunes downloaded from the apple website. Apple has to solve this issue. I tried restoring the data to factory settings using the 8.3 ipsw file 5 times. Then flashed them again and had the same problem. Then i did the hard reset 8 times and saw the photos sync. Instantly after the photos sync is over in the iTunes the photos app in the iPhone will not stop the sync, the sync symbol will be visible and the albums in the photos app will be empty. I have to wait for another 2 hours to completely get the photos filled in the albums by iOS. Even after the sync is over the albums will not display the number of photos in them. I have to sync again to display the number of photos. Apple hasn't fixed this problem since iOS 8.0. This assimilation is causing the "Others" Space in yellow in iTunes to increase in size more than the one displayed in iPhone settings. People who have photos data of my size will feel this problem instantly after the photos have synced.

After completing sync in 8.2 and if i update to 8.3 the photos are gone. I get "restoring photos" for more than 7 hours and nothing is there in the photos app.

I tried all the possibilities to the solve this and i m stuck, anyone of u guys dont have this issue?

Apr 16, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Morac

Same happening here. iCloud storage does not report correctly. Local storage does not add up at all. iTunes shows nearly 20Gb of 'other' data. What is going on here??? iOS update to 8.3 was done 2 days ago, and since these issues have begun... cannot be coincidence.

I don't want to start backing up, restoring, hard resets, etc. if there's no definitive fix. Moreover, there have got to be more people having these issues, surely.

Apr 17, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Morac

I have this same problem, but the effects on my storage are the opposite. My phone will tell me that I'm running out of space on my phone, so I'll delete some apps I don't use anymore, or old photos. Then, suddenly, I won't have any more space on my phone again, but I haven't added anything to my phone to make this happen.

I tried plugging my phone into my computer, & iphoto is saying that I have doubles of all of my photos on my phone (which my phone does NOT display), & itunes says I have over a hundred songs that don't appear on my phone either.

Anyone had this happen and have any ideas how to fix it??

Apr 18, 2015 9:07 PM in response to janicecb

I am having the same problem, but also have some duplicates in music. I turned off syncing of photos from my mac, however, all of the "Mac" photo albums remain on my iPhone, but the pictures are are not displayed in the album (they're gone), but when I go to the "photos" (collections), all the photos are still there that were synced from the Mac! It appears Apple has really screwed up syncing with iTunes with 8.3.

Apr 20, 2015 5:35 AM in response to Morac

IM having huge storage issues since going to 8.3. For some reason now my phone continues to say storage full. I went in after a reboot and I see my free space quickly ticking down to 0 free space while in airplane mode so i know it wasn't doing downloading in the background. I even deleted almost all of my photos and a day later I'm back to 0 free space. User uploaded file

free space off after upgrading to iOS 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.