Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireless carplay

Hi - can anyone who has updated to iOS 8.3 confirm where the Wirless Carplay option is configured within Settings? It's supposed to be right under General, but I don't have it. Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 12:27 PM

49 replies

Apr 8, 2015 1:14 PM in response to deggie

Just to confirm, I'm not actually trying to use CarPlay in my car at the moment. I'm just trying to confirm that the setting appears under Settings/General on the iPhone. Can anyone confirm this? I have a feeling Apple pulled this feature from the final release - it's not actually in the release notes despite the fact that all the news organizations are reporting it as one of the main features of 8.3.

Apr 10, 2015 12:36 PM in response to mattlcook

I tested too and the carplay setting is activated when you connect your phone to the carplay head unit with the lightning cable.

Unfortunetly no wireless Carplay for the moment, it recognise my Pioneer ACH-4000NEX but can not be activated using the steering will voice control control button as stated in the apple update log.

Maybe Pionner needs to update the HU firmware ?

Regarding Siri, i'm still having bugs when i ask for map directions or for phone calls. It listen than quit.

Apr 11, 2015 8:41 AM in response to mattlcook

I own the Alpine ilx-007 and with iOS 8.3, I have the same experience as Anthony_R minus the bluetooth. I have read that my head unit has a wifi chip in it, but apparently it is not yet activated. I can only assume that a firmware update is needed and that Apple's announcement about bringing wireless CarPlay to the iPhone is only half of the story. I am disappointed that there has been no list or word from either Alpine nor Pioneer about which head units will work and when a firmware update will be available. This seems to also be an issue when partnering with 3rd party vendors.

Apr 13, 2015 7:09 AM in response to mattlcook

I also have the Alpine ilx-007 unit, and I'm hoping it does eventually support the wireless carplay. Thanks to everyone who confirmed their own experiences. I was concerned that the Alpine unit wouldn't support wireless carplay because it didn't have bluetooth, but it seems like it might still have the wifi chip. I e-mail Alpine support, but they couldn't comment on it.

I am somewhat impressed with carplay, but it is definitely in the "early adopter" phase. The biggest improvement for me in 8.3 is the ability to "trust" the iphone so it doesn't need to be unlocked to use with carplay. Combine this with wireless carplay, and the system becomes a lot more convenient. I also like the new album art that is displayed. I find it a bit faster and more stable, but still has a way to go. Hoping that it becomes more mainstream so it gets more attention from Apple and 3rd party developers.

Unfortunately, the latest release broke my main carplay app - Overcast - but hoping it is fixed in the near future.

Apr 13, 2015 11:08 AM in response to mattlcook

Doing some digging reveals that there is likely a wifi chip in the ilx-007, but hasn't yet been activated. Check out the following links for evidence to this possibility:

UK site with IK model ilx-700 (same unit just number changed... maybe a conflict with some special agent!). See last page of manual: http://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/manuals//car_audio_manuals/iLX-700 /OM_iLX-700_EN.pdf

FCC Filing for use of a wifi unit in an Alpine car unit: http://fccid.net/number.php?fcc=A269ZUA143&id=869710#axzz3Lkzln5Te

Maybe they haven't received the okay to activate it from the FCC. Dunno.

wireless carplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.