Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 a disaster

8.3 upgrade killed my iPad Air 2. It's about 6 weeks old, having been updated from an iPad 1 with hundreds of apps. When 8.3 install finished it went into a restart loop, asking for my password and such, showing the home screen for 1/2 second, then starting again. Per Apple site, I put it in recovery mode and reinstalled the update. Same behavior. Then I did a factory reset and tried to restore from the only backup (which was created in the midst of this fiasco) and was told the backup was correct. Back to rebuilding the iPad from scratch. Be warned.

iPad

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 4:22 PM

37 replies

Apr 8, 2015 4:49 PM in response to Newstech

You really shouldn't have waited until you were in the middle of this "fiasco" before you created a backup, if that is what you actually did. And if it is what you did, it's no wonder that it was corrupt. I know that your iPad is only six weeks old, but you shouldn't wait that long to backup. With iCloud and automatic backups, or with iTunes and automatic WiFi syncing, there is no reason to not have been backing up. IMO, you really have to work at preventing backups to not have backed up several times in six weeks.

I'm not trying to come off like an a-hole. You've had enough problems for one day with your iPad. I just hope you have learned from the experience. I had no issues at all updating and I'm guessing that millions of people will update without any issues at all. There could be a very good reason why the update went south on you, but without knowing more information as to how you updated, how you use your iPad on a daily basis, what you have on your iPad, etc. it's really difficult to explain why it happened.

I hope that you get it all sorted out and that rebuking the iPad goes smoothly for you. But I also believe that your experience will be that of a small percentage of iOS device users.

Apr 8, 2015 4:52 PM in response to ChazThePhoenix

ChazThePhoenix wrote:

i find OTA is hit or miss...itunes ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME. The OTA download is 293ish MB...while the iTunes one was 1.83 gigs...leading me to believe its a patchwork update

I Have updated both ways over the years and since iOS 5 came out, the overwhelming majority of my updates have come using WiFi OTA, in fact, two of the major updates (iOS 6 and iOS 7) that I did were when I was at work using an ad hoc network that I create with the Ethernet connection to my iMac. I have never had issues with an OTA update.

Apr 8, 2015 8:54 PM in response to Demo

Sorry for delayed response, I've been fighting to get this thing back in shape.

I had tons of free space in the iPad -- maybe 35 GB. I did the update via iTunes on a PC.

I've been doing frequent app updates via USB with a backup taken each time. A big problem is that iTunes overwrites older backups, and it decided to create a new one in the midst of the update. The actual error message when the restore failed was essentially that the backup file was corrupted or had been created by an incompatible version of the software. Hmmm.

The thing that infuriates me is that both the update went bad AND the backup couldn't be read. And it will be weeks before I dig out from the mess of lost settings, old in-app purchases that now can't be reloaded, etc.

Apr 9, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Newstech

Rebuking was obviously supposed to be rebuilding. Sometimes I hate autocorrect because it doesn't correct grammar. I get ticked off so I disable it, then I feel like I need it, so I enable it again. I just can't make up my mind what I want to do. Throw in the quirks that crop up here using Safari on an iPad in the ASC and when I read some of the responses I have posted, even I'm not sure what I meant when I wrote the reply!

I couldn't tell from your first post if you were backing up or not, so that's why I responded the way that I did. You can archive backups so that you always have a good one in the backup folder. If you want to save or archive a backup, just right click on the backup in window where your backups appear and select Archive.

For Windows - Edit>Preferences>Devices>Right click on the backup for the device. For Mac - iTunes>Preferences>Devices....

I have read this response three times now, and I hope it doesn't have any glaring typo screw ups again. 😝

Apr 9, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

You can archive backups so that you always have a good one in the backup folder. If you want to save or archive a backup, just right click on the backup in window where your backups appear and select Archive.

For Windows - Edit>Preferences>Devices>Right click on the backup for the device. For Mac - iTunes>Preferences>Devices....

I didn't know that option exists. Thanks for the tip. Does that mean we can have multiple backups stored in the computer storage? If so, how do we choose which backup set to restore from?

iOS 8.3 a disaster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.