Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google 2-step verification failing in 10.10.3 'Internet Accounts'

I'm trying to set up an existing Google account in OS X 'Internet Accounts'. I think the Google 2-step verification is newly supported for OS X via 'Internet Accounts' (rather than app specific) as of 10.10.3? I enter my Google password, and am then sent the 2-step verification code to my mobile. When I enter this I get a message 'Google Authentication failed' I am now unable to log in to my Gmail via Mail.

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 6:05 AM

90 replies

Apr 9, 2015 7:11 AM in response to chassa

I'm in the same boat. I can't remove the google account completely (keeps popping up even though I've removed it from KeyChain) and when I try to add it I get an error on my MacBook (can't seem to sync notes and the contacts app crashes). The login splash screen for Google on my iMac stays stuck on the flashing pinwheel. Definitely messed!

Apr 9, 2015 11:36 PM in response to chassa

Exactly the same error now.

I had it working temporarily but after a reboot I received this error and could not get email. Take online etc. had no impact and I confirmed that 2FA was enabled in my Google settings.

User uploaded file

Upon deleting the account and re-adding it under System Preferences I now receive the same error as qwerty909 posted above.

I should add, the same account is working perfectly on iOS 8.3

Apr 10, 2015 11:48 AM in response to qwerty909

To bypass this as a quick fix:

1. Go to Mail menu bar, choose add account.

2. Instead of selecting Google, choose add other account.

3. Enter the full email address and password for the account however hold the option key, the create button switches to next. Which will initiate the manual setup of the account.

4. Choose IMAP as the account type or POP depending on what you want.

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - requires SSL: imap.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 993
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS or SSL:

smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465

Enabled Automatically detect and maintain settings.

Deselect allow insecure authentication.

Full Name or Display Name: [your name]
Account Name or User Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Email Address: your email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com)
Password: your Gmail password

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS or SSL: smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465
Full Name or Display Name: [your name]
Account Name or User Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Email Address: your email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com)
Password: your Gmail password

5. Create the account and check that the outgoing server settings don't have authentication set to none. If it has authentication on the outgoing server set to none change it to password and add your email address and password for gmail.

Issue resolved.

Apr 10, 2015 9:16 PM in response to chassa

I'm glad it's not just me, but sorry that all of you guys are having trouble too. I just installed 10.10.3 on a new Mac, and I've been thinking all day that I did something wrong with the install. After changing my Google password twice, I finally started to think that maybe I hadn't caused the problem, so I Googled it and found this thread. Misery loves company, I guess.

Apr 11, 2015 8:27 AM in response to chassa

Same problem here after 10.10.3 came along. Getting errors from "Internet Accounts" with 2-step Google verification, but only on one of my three Google accounts. I have a regular Google account (working fine) and two Google accounts set up via "Google Apps" (both from employers; one works and one doesn't).

I enter my password into "Internet Accounts", which it seems to accept since it then sends me a 2-step verification code to my cell phone. Once I enter that code, it accepts it and brings me to a screen that says "OS X would like to: View and manage mail, profile info, etc.". Clicking "Accept" on that yields: "Authentication failed - Failed to authenticate with Google."

Mac Mail still works with all three accounts, fortunately, but the error keeps coming up in "Internet Accounts."

The account that is having problems is the only one of the three where I use a different e-mail address than my login with Google. In other words, my login is (for example): "fred@abc.edu" but the e-mail address I use is "fred@mail.abc.edu". Of course, I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

Apr 11, 2015 8:36 AM in response to FJ9999

FJ9999, my situation is very similar to yours: two logins to Google, both attached to the same account through Google's combined-accounts thing. One works fine, but the one where I use my alternate, non-login email address keeps bugging me for a password that it never accepts. And same as you, mac mail is working fine. With so many people seeing this kind of problem, maybe it will show up on Apple's radar soon and they'll get it fixed.

Apr 11, 2015 9:06 AM in response to GreatBigBore

Well, from reading several posts, it sounds like this may be affecting people who use Google Apps for e-mail rather than regular Google accounts? That may be why only a limited number of people are reporting this (I'm guessing this thread would be 500 posts long if this were a broader Gmail issue with 10.10.3).

Also, in case it helps anyone: My e-mail fails (configured with three Gmail accounts, one regular and two via Google Apps) when I use either of the two recommended ports (465 or 587) for the outgoing SMTP server. Using Port 25 works, however. It doesn't fix the problem with Internet Accounts discussed in this thread, but it does get Mac Mail working for me. See the 7th FAQ here. You would make the change to the Port Number here: Mac Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Account Information tab > Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) menu > Edit SMTP Server List > Advanced.

Apr 13, 2015 12:48 AM in response to chassa

Same problem here. The strange thing is that in my private Google Apps Account (legacy free edition which was available until 2012-12-06) everything works flawlessly, on our company Google Apps Account (full paid version) I do get the same error. like everybody else here (see screenshot in German: Authentifizierung fehlgeschlagen / Anmeldung bei Google fehlgeschlagen -> "Authentication failed, login to google failed").

When checking the Google Reports Console, I do see the granted request for authorization for the following OAuth Scopes:

https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.profile, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.email, https://mail.google.com/, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/carddav, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/googletalk

I suspect that there might be some restrictions to these services set up in the company account which isn't the case for my private account. But just wild guessing here.

Anyway, it's a more serious error. I personally only can reproduce it if I go to internet account > details, but I have a co-worker who was asked to completely reauthorize his Google Apps Credentials after the 10.10.3 upgrade and can't use the Google Account functionality anymore.

I filed bug report #20515849 at Apple Bug Reporter.

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2015 1:19 AM in response to chassa

To make a third party app work with Google's two step verification you must first use a different method than the mobile phone 4 digit code. Here is a link that has a picture of what to look for. https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en using a browser on a computer.

I have all Google apps running on my late MacBook Pro Retina using one simple addition of the Google generated 16 character alpha code for all Mac apps related to Google whether it be YouTube or simply Gmail, Calendar, etc. You enter the code into the System Preference section for "Accounts". That is all that I needed to do other than specify what "internet apps" (check boxes) were to be included in the preferences.

You either require a mobile phone 4 digit numeric code each time you run a Google app or allow the computer to be "trusted" via Google Dashboard or when you first set 2 way verification up.

Google 2-step verification failing in 10.10.3 'Internet Accounts'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.