Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5s 8.3 wifi issues(STILL!?!?)

Got a new iPhone 5s for Christmas and ever since updating to IOS 8 i have been experiencing Wifi issues.

The main problem is that my Wifi will just stop working within 5 minutes of connecting to the network even though it still says that i am connected to the wifi.

User uploaded file User uploaded file <-----(This occurs within 5 minutes of connecting to WIFI)

I have just recently updated to IOS 8.3 and the problem is still persisting.

My dad also owns an iPhone which is at a previous version of IOS 8 and he too is having the same issues.

This isn't an issue with my wireless router. All the computers in my house connect without any issues and so do the two android phones in the house.

The data on both iPhones works perfectly without a hitch but we always end up using all of our data since we have to rely on it in order to connect to the internet without any problems.

I don't really know what to do. I have done the reset the network settings a countless amount of times, I have backed up and restored My iphone twice with the problems persisting, and i've reset the router and modem several times in another feeble attempt at trying to get this wifi running.

This frustrating and costing me money because i keep going over the data limt.

SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 8:36 AM

9 replies

Apr 9, 2015 8:48 AM in response to rgeorg10

I too have a similar issue for many month, I've lose hope and I think it'll never been fixed.

Either it connects but the speed is near to zero (and speedtest doesn't work) or it says "bad password" or "cannot join network"

Funny fact it works if I'm very very close to the router..
I've also restored many time, even tried beta version, same.

Apr 9, 2015 9:25 AM in response to rgeorg10

It still could be your router, even if other devices are connecting. There are many threads here with many solutions to try. Have you checked them?

Have you tried rebooting your router? Have you tried changing the broadcast channel? Have you checked to see if there is a limit on how many devices can connect at once? Have you checked to see if Mac address filtering is set up on your router? Have you tried connecting to other wi-fi networks with your phone, such as at a Starbucks or a public library?

Apr 9, 2015 10:00 AM in response to AmishCake

I tried more or less everything legal I found ... nothing worked ....

It works at my house now with my new ISP (new router) and all friend that have the same router, but didn't work with my previous router (or friend with the same router). It worked at work before, but not anymore (and they didn't change router or encryption).

I'm not sure I've the same problem than other because on the routers were it doens't work, it'd work if I'm very close to the router... I don't see how it could be hardware (like wifi Antenna), otherwise it won't work on some routers. When I called Apple, they told me to give 240$ to have a new one, because it has > 1 year, and to restore my phone ... Last point : it seems that the WIFI works on network I've never been before (new places), so I suspect some weird broken configuration files that are not deleted even with a restore ... I've no idea :-(

Apr 9, 2015 12:20 PM in response to rgeorg10

Add me to this listed of unsatisfied customers who have wasted numerous hours searching & waiting for a fix to this wifi issue.

My old iPhone 4 with ios 7.1.2 is working; my old iPad mini has always worked AND continues to work WITH ios 8.3... But NOT the iPhone 5? Unbelievable!!! I don't have an extra $300-$400 laying around to buy an iPhone 6 that MAY work!

Apr 10, 2015 6:07 PM in response to rgeorg10

As of an hour ago (+/-), my iPhone 5 will not stay connected to my home WIFI system. I haven’t touched a single setting on any device (iPhone 5, MacBook Pro 2012, or Modem/Router Combo DOCSIS 3.0). I also haven’t downloaded the update that appeared today. I’m now being prompted to input my stored password every time it tries to connect; which is every few seconds. I cannot isolate the issue.

Maybe it’s a good thing I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow to finally get the battery replaced as part of the Battery Replacement Program for iPhone 5 models. This also has the home screen wake/sleep issue, but I don’t want to send it away for a week. I’m really disappointed watching the sheen & luster rapidly fade away from what used to be a bright, shiny apple.

Prior to today, I never experienced the frequently discussed WIFI defect.

Apr 13, 2015 1:19 PM in response to rgeorg10

I am having the exact same, word for word issue. I can't be told to check router (every wifi connection not just at home) again. I'm not alone, and I'm through with Apple. This is the last. I'm broken hearted over this and will seriously grieve when I get the Galaxy in October. If you find anything that works please let us know. I'll do the same.

Apr 13, 2015 6:13 PM in response to mysterycity23

Every phone and OS is going to have issues. The problem is that unless the issue is present on every device, it may be difficult for the developers to reproduce the problem and fix it reliably. The best option to try and fix it is to restore as a new iPhone and see if the issue is present with nothing else installed. If it doesn't work then the wi-fi antenna may be faulty and you would be covered under warranty. If it works fine, start installing your apps one at a time to see if a particular program or combi of apps brings the issue back.

May 22, 2015 2:31 PM in response to rgeorg10

Have a 5c with verizon. Started have problems connections to wifi. 5c would connect then drop over and ever. Cam to this post and it led to to a post that said "Update to iOS 8.3" and problem would go away. I read up on 8.3 it said "it fixes devices that are having cellular and wifi connection issues". So I updated thinking it would fix my phone, and it did.........for thirty minutes. The phone did a reset and when I started it back up it was worse. The bluetooth would not come and the cell data would not turn off. I had to delete most apps cause it used all my data. When i would put the phone in airplane mode it would come on and boot back off. I now have a crazy $200 data charge. i have no clue why this is happening. I called apple and the basically told me to but a new phone and they are not fixing THEIR!!! software malfunction for free. The apple girl i spoke with over the phone was very very rude about the matter. I WILL NOT! be buy from apple again🙂 P.S:: THIS IS CLEARLY AN APPLE PROBLEM✅

iphone 5s 8.3 wifi issues(STILL!?!?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.