Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

image capture no longer recognizes .jpg files

I have HV40 Canon and mini SD. I've been importing jpeg images for years. Now, all of a sudden, iPhoto (image capture) cannot read those file. This may have something to do with the latest updates which I installed last night. Now, even photos successfully imported just before the update, do not import. I get import error "Import error (-9937)" from Image Capture. One of these updates is screwing up my capture. OS X Yosemite, 10.10.3, MacBook Pro mid 2012. Thanks!

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 4:16 PM

31 replies

Apr 9, 2015 4:20 PM in response to johnfromgilroy

As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Connect the camera and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

Also, use a card reader to manually upload the files from the memory card to a folder on the Desktop. Once you have the files safely on the hard drive use the camera to reformat the memory card. Take some test shots and see if iPhoto will recognize the card.

User uploaded file

Apr 9, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Old Toad

I did as you suggested and created a new iPhoto library file. Still gives the same message of wrong file format. Also, for what it's worth, the new Photos app (which I suspect is at the heart of the problem) can import photos also and gives the same error - unreadable format. Probably this is some new security measure and Apple has screwed up with it.

Thanks,

J

Apr 12, 2015 9:54 PM in response to johnfromgilroy

I Have Canon PowerShot S60 which has stopped working with same error message since last software update to Photo! I also tried RAW format but same error even though it can see files in camera, soon as I try to import theirs a problem.

Am able to import pictures onto my old PC running windows so nothing wrong with the files in camera..

Apr 13, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Old Toad

I suspect that I'm full of what makes the grass grow green. Mr. Toad, I downloaded a program from Canon, the maker of my camera, and tried to use their software to read my miniSD. Didn't work! So, I've ordered a new miniSD and when it gets here we'll see if the problem was my miniSD card going bad. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back as soon as I know something.

J

Apr 13, 2015 7:04 PM in response to Old Toad

Okay! Here's the latest. I think my Canon HV40 is malfunctioning. I bought a new 1G miniSD and the adapter so I could stick it in my laptop. I formatted it in the camera and then tried to import images to my laptop and it worked. The old miniSD also works fine. Of course, I did full initialization on both the miniSD before taking test shots. It appears the the camera is damaged in that it won't recognize the image files (although the thumbnails come thru okay).

So, from now on I just have to import photos using the SD adapter directly into the laptop. Either that or get a new camera. **** thing!

Thanks for all the help.

J

image capture no longer recognizes .jpg files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.