Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nsurlsessiond spiking my internet quota

Hey guys,

My MacBook Pro is spiking my internet data quota again! The process "nsurlsessiond" is using like few hundred MB. (I have 1 GB max per day)

I know and I think is something to do with iCloud, but my iCould sync was off.

please help!

Caleb

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 9, 2015 11:35 PM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2015 5:12 PM in response to CalebKam

I was having the same issue...Constant data sending/receiving from nsurlsessiond on my iMac. I remembered I had 109 photos placed on iCloud a couple of years ago for Apple TV slideshows, which I never used... I used Apple TV to view, and remove those photos. 20 minutes later nsurlsessionsd quit sending/receiving data from my iMac...

Perhaps a coincidence...don't know. In any case, I don't know why it suddenly seemed to need to send/receive data (photostream has always been turned off on my iMac)

Bob

Apr 17, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Bob Gold

I've had the same issue of bandwidth getting hogged, and it's nsurlsessiond that's doing it. I got Little Snitch, per another user's advice (see Nsurlsessiond ISNT GOING AWAY), and ran through all the possible things to block, until rather far down the list, nsurlsessiond showed up, and it was wanting to connect to us-ore-00001.sc.amazonaws.com. I clicked on Deny and Forever. Since then, every thing is running fine. nsurlsessiond does have two other icloud.com addresses that it's allowed to access, so as far as I can tell, my iCloud services are still OK.

This matches up with what my ISP told me was happening: The entirety of my upload bandwidth was being sucked up by uploads to an Amazon site. (***? What is it they're pulling off my computer??) When the upload bandwidth is used up, it affects the downstream speed as well. They said if I couldn't figure out what was happening, one possible solution was to change my plan to one that allows more upload space. But a technician who stopped by the house said that might not help; that places like Amazon will just keep sucking data as fast as possible, up to the limit allowed. Which will *kill* your downstream speed, no matter what plan you're on. Good thing my ISP doesn't have quotas yet.

It seems to me that there's a BUG, not a feature, in this part of the OS. I've only experienced it since this last update. FIX IT, Apple. You're about to cost me $70 for a family license for Little Snitch, to fix something that shouldn't be happening. And it's going to cost people with quotas maybe a heck of a lot more.

Nsurlsessiond spiking my internet quota

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.