Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos on apple tv

Okay so I have just installed the latest Yosemite with the new "Photos" app and it is missing a major function.

Previously I could access all of my photos through my Apple TV so that we could see them on our television. When you went into the Apple TV menu and selected "Computers" it gave you the options of Music, Movies, TV Shows etc and one for Photos.

Now you don't have that. There is no option for "Photos" under the computer tab.

What there is on the main screen is "iCloud Photos" but the only photos you can access here are ones you store in your iCloud or that are part of your photo stream.

I had nearly 200GB of photos and movies stored within iPhoto and these have been successfully migrated over to "Photos" no problem.

I also have my own NAS storage at home with my own personal "cloud" and my photos are all back up on here.

The only way I see that I can now view my photos through my Apple TV on my Television is to have everything out into iCloud and pay $13 a month for the pleasure of that.

Am I missing something? If not this is a pretty crappy move by Apple and clearly just another money grab.

Apple if anyone happens to read this please put the ability to view your Albums/Events etc through an Apple TV back.

If not does anyone know how I might be able to get iPhoto back and forget about updating.

I have regular time capsule back ups so could just roll back using that but that a bit of a pain. Would rather just re-install iPhoto.

Thanks everyone

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 1:57 AM

I don't have a Apple TV so I can't give you a definitive answer. However, afaik it uses the same substructure as Photosharing and the Media browser. Many folks have found that Photos is not available there without a re-start, and other folks have found that it needs several hours to become available. But it does not work if iCloud Library is enabled.

Other than that:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Is the route to the Developers for your thoughts.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2015 1:57 AM in response to StevenBottrill

I don't have a Apple TV so I can't give you a definitive answer. However, afaik it uses the same substructure as Photosharing and the Media browser. Many folks have found that Photos is not available there without a re-start, and other folks have found that it needs several hours to become available. But it does not work if iCloud Library is enabled.

Other than that:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Is the route to the Developers for your thoughts.

Apr 11, 2015 4:08 AM in response to StevenBottrill

It can be switched back on from iTunes. With iTunes open got to File > Home sharing and make sure Home Sharing is on using the same apple id on your mac and apple TV.

From the same Home Sharing menu in iTunes select > Choose Photos To share With Apple TV. Check the box to Share photos from the photos app and then select if you want to share all or only some of your albums to apple TV.

Hope that helps.

May 26, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Nonicknamesleft

The Apple TV can access the Music and Podcasts on my Mac with no problems, so Home Sharing is working. I even tried using Airplay to see if I could display my iPhone screen on the Apple TV, and that works also. The problem is that the menu option in iTunes to select which photos to share with the Apple TV can't identify either my Photos library or my iPhoto library. It's weird (and annoying).

Sep 7, 2015 8:28 PM in response to ldamario

I too have noticed that a bunch of my photos aren't available on my Apple TV 2 after the Photos upgrade. Original poster didn't which Apple TV he had though. I'm running OS 10.10.5 and whatever the highest available OS is for my Apple TV, OS 6 I think.

Back in iPhoto when I would import a bunch of stuff it would break the images into days or Events. I would just use the events as albums and view them on Apple TV just fine. With my current setup, I just realized that it's not showing the old iPhoto events. I went to iTunes (12.2.2.25) to see what my sharing setup was. Behold, there is no mention of Events or Faces (see image).

User uploaded file

Any ideas why I can't see the Events option or see them on an Apple TV?

photos on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.