Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes restored has lost my music and crashes every time I open it

Please help. I noticed my iTunes had disappeared from my PC (Windoes Vista) so uninstalled all iTunes related programs as per support page guide and then reinstalled. I then got the ".itl" error so added ".itl" to the itunes folder as per a web guide. Now when I open itunes it does nothave my music and then crashes saying iTunes has encountered a problem and that Windows will close the program.

What can I do???

iPod classic

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 5:40 AM

25 replies

Apr 10, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Weswin

The .itl File you're missing is the iTunes Library file.

When you created that new file and added it to the folder you essentially created a blank library and iTunes is opening that file.

To resolve this I need a little more information.

I believe to stop iTunes from crashing we will need to reinstall iTunes once more.

When you installed iTunes did you uninstall it in the exact order listed in

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275

Also, is the music your missing imported music? Or was the music downloaded from iTunes directly?

If the music was downloaded from the iTunes store then you can go into your purchased history and redownload them to your library .

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272

If the music was imported or downloaded from other sources you will need to drag the music files back into iTunes.

Reply if more help or clarification is needed.

Apr 10, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Weswin

If I understand your post correctly reverse the folder rename that you did. Assuming that iTunes created a new iTunes folder for you may need to name the new once first. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for advice on restoring a working version of the iTunes library file to the correct path, and make sure that that is the file that iTunes is trying to access.

See also Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for general reinstallation advice.

tt2

Apr 10, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Xthelyricist

Looks like I've really screwed this up. To try and make it clear what I have done:

1) No iTunes appeared on PC (Vista)

2) attempted removal (correct order)

3) Wouldn't re-download from Apple - didn't work. 3 attempts.

4) used the iTunes Setup link on my desktop which eventually produced iTunes quick link which wouldn't open becuase it said .itl issue

5) added ".itl" to itunes library name

6) iTunes opened but no music (neither purchased or imported from CD) or pics - did recognise my user account though

7) then crashed saying issue with program and Windows closing. Did this many times. At one point saw issue with Corefoundation.dlln message.

8) removed again - but got order slightly wrong - did Bonjour after Apple Application support

9) restarted computer and went through the checks to ensure everything off C:drive

10) tried to re-install from Apple website, didn't work

11) clicked on iTunes Setup again. Some elements loaded (Bonjour, Apple Software Support, Mobile Device & Application support but no iTunes)

12) really desperate now as I've had this account for years and have spent serious money. I have an iPhone4 and a 120GB Classic with Music stored on it if that helps.

Any fixes would be hugely appreciated. They shouldn't let eejitts like me on computers...

Apr 10, 2015 12:05 PM in response to Weswin

Let's get the application installed properly first, then focus on the library...

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

tt2

Apr 10, 2015 1:22 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi Mr Turing,

I followed box 2 to the letter but still had no desktop link to iTunes and nothing showing as iTunes in programs (the other things like application support and bonjour came back). I then went to Further Information section and tried adding iTunes 12.1.2.27 for Windows (32-bit) - iTunesSetup.exe (2015-04-09). It went through a lot of progress bars and then said all was well but I still have no iTunes. Any ideas?

As a side note, on the Turing theme, my wife's great uncle worked at Bletchley Park and I am sitting at his desk. Shame that genius isn't rubbing off on me...

Apr 10, 2015 2:01 PM in response to turingtest2

I have cleaned out again. I am not sure what you mean by following the "Install missing components" section:

Install missing components

For reasons that are unclear the iTunes installer may fail to install or update specific components such as Apple Application Support or Apple Mobile Device Support, even when undertaking a "clean" install such as that described above in Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components. In such cases it may help to extract the individual components from the downloaded iTunesSetup.exe, itunes6464setup.exe or iTunes64Setup.exe file using a utility such as 7-Zip, then install the appropriate .msi file for the missing/outdated component.

Even when such components won't install the standalone installer may provide useful error messages that were suppressed during the initial attempt. You can also try removing everything once more then installing the individual .msi components in alphabetical order however the iCloud component should only be installed on Windows Vista. Windows 7 & 8 users should download that from iCloud for Windows.

I have tried the Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components section and it hasn't worked. Is the 7-Zip going to help? I am not sure what a .msi file is...

Apr 10, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Weswin

The iTunes setup file is made up of a number of smaller components. When you run it the parts are unpacked into a temporary folder and another file is run whose job is to install each of the components in turn. 7-zip lets you unpack the file yourself then run the installers one at at time. Bonjour.msi for example installs Bonjour. It should become clear if you try.

tt2

Apr 11, 2015 12:15 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi TT2,

I downloaded 7-ZIp and started installing individually. Apple Applications, Mobile device support, Software update, Bonjour and iTunes went through the installation with no error messages. However, when trying to install Quicktime I got the error message: "A newer version of Quicktime is already installed. This installation cannot proceed while the newer version of QuickTime is installed. Ok?"

Shall I press ok?

Thanks for your patience.

Apr 11, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Weswin

You shouldn't need to reinstall QuickTime if you didn't remove it. If you did then click OK and see what happens. Presumable the installer will either quit or offer to remove the "newer" version. QuickTime isn't included in recent versions of iTunes and may not be needed. Did you download that separately? It may be needed to support some older file types, in which case you porbably want to use the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) version as I don't think it works with the all 64-bit version.

tt2

Apr 11, 2015 12:49 PM in response to turingtest2

Okay, I have gone all through programmes individually and installed but I still do not have a desktop link to iTunes. When I search for itunes and select iTunes I get the message: "Windows cannot open this file : File: iTunes Library.itl To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to open it..... [and offers 2 options - Use web to find program or install from list of installed programs]"

Apr 11, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Weswin

Does iTunes show in the Programs and Features control panel?

If not perhaps you missed installing the iTunes.msi file.

If it does then try repairing it to recreate the shortcuts.

When iTunes is properly installed it should be the registered handler for .itl files, though double-clicking .itl files doesn't neccessarily open the selected library. You should use the shift-start iTunes method to switch between library files.

The iTunes application would notmally be installed at C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe for a 32-bit system.

Oh, and ignore my comments above about the "for older video cards" version. I'd forgotten you said you're on 32-bit Vista.

tt2

iTunes restored has lost my music and crashes every time I open it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.