Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6.1 not in App Store?

I want to update my iPhoto to 9.6.1, but I'm unable to find iPhoto when I search the App Store.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Do you know if Apple will make iPhoto available in the App Store?

(I always update when the App Store notifies me, but I don't ever recall getting an iPhoto 9.6.1 update notification. I'm currently at 9.5.1.)

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 7:33 AM

Apple does not sell iPhoto any more at the AppStore.

But you should be able to reinstall from the Purchased tab of the AppStore, if iPhoto is showing among your purchases. You may need to unhide your purchases.

See this post by Tom Perkins:

Re: how do i sort albums by date in the new photos app?

I just went through the situation of not finding iPhoto 9.6.1 in the App Store. Working with Applecare, the solution was to (a) delete the iPhoto app, (b) restart my iMac, (c) go to the App store and click on Purchases, and (d) reinstall iPhoto. In my case, for some reason, iPhoto was hidden from my purchases. Go to Store > View My Account, and go to Manage for Hidden Purchases, where you can unhide iPhoto. Once I did that, things seemed to work okay.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2015 7:33 AM in response to tedster998

Apple does not sell iPhoto any more at the AppStore.

But you should be able to reinstall from the Purchased tab of the AppStore, if iPhoto is showing among your purchases. You may need to unhide your purchases.

See this post by Tom Perkins:

Re: how do i sort albums by date in the new photos app?

I just went through the situation of not finding iPhoto 9.6.1 in the App Store. Working with Applecare, the solution was to (a) delete the iPhoto app, (b) restart my iMac, (c) go to the App store and click on Purchases, and (d) reinstall iPhoto. In my case, for some reason, iPhoto was hidden from my purchases. Go to Store > View My Account, and go to Manage for Hidden Purchases, where you can unhide iPhoto. Once I did that, things seemed to work okay.

Apr 10, 2015 7:58 AM in response to léonie

Leonie, thanks for the suggestion. I just gave it a try, but it reinstalled iPhoto 9.5.1. I next returned to the App Store "Purchases" tab and the button next to iPhoto said "Update." I clicked Update and got the message "Error 1004 please try again later."

I suspect Apple removed 9.6.1 from the App Store. Hopefully it'll be available again soon. I'll keep trying :-)

Apr 11, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence et al.,

Thank you for this thread! Need to access photos for last minute tax deduction update. Updated this morning unknowing and lost iPhoto app.......Have decided to give up on Photos as my iPhoto was not imported, and not able to locate it. My iPhoto application shows as size 1.7GB. Its icon has a circle with a line through it.

Note I had issues with thumbnails a few years back, worked with Apple support and today not sure where the library is or how to identify it. Curious of the size of the iPhoto app showing at 1.7GB ??.

Would like to delete and reinstall iPhoto from App Store but reluctant to lose the file. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Apr 11, 2015 11:37 AM in response to zen mama

My iPhoto application shows as size 1.7GB. Its icon has a circle with a line through it.

There's a way to get iPhoto 9.5.1 to work with 10.10.3. Todd Dixon posted this tip:

Todd Dixon including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image including Apple logo changes for feature 126 Apple image ends here

Apr 10, 2015 4:58 PM

Re: Is iPhoto deleted by the 10.10.3 update ?

in response to Philippe Barthelemy

[DocumentBodyStart:0d18bf30-70ea-4c9b-b631-83e91511f82d]

Everyone... if moving your iPhoto to the trash (don't empty trash) and redownloading from your purchases or hidden purchases does not work then, as per my earlier post, simply remove it from the trash and right-click on iPhoto and click Show package contents, then go in to Contents, and in to the MacOS folder and double click the iPhoto app from there... it launches just fine! So make an alias for it or drag it in to your dock. A non-pretty but functional workaround.

I've tested it with iPhoto 9.5.1 and 9.6 and it works. The only caveat is that the Terminal application opens and must remain open while using iPhoto. It can be hidden.

User uploaded file

Apr 12, 2015 3:53 PM in response to tedster998

I now have iPhoto 9.6.1 installed, but I first had to upgrade to Yosemite.

Here's my history when trying with Mavericks: I wasn't able to update from iPhoto 9.5.1 while running Mavericks - as I mentioned in my first post, I would get an error message when I tried to update iPhoto in Mavericks. When I deleted the iPhoto app from my Mac still running Mavericks, and went to the App Store "Purchased" tab and clicked "Install" next to iPhoto, it would install the old version 9.5.1 in Mavericks.

I'll walk through the steps I took to successfully install iPhoto 9.6.1 - steps 2 & 3 were dead ends, but I chose to mention them here in case others take the same path perhaps they won't feel defeated.

1. Upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite.

2. After I upgraded my Mac to Yosemite, I started iPhoto but it told me that this version (9.5.1) isn't compatible with Yosemite (which I expected). It did give me the option to search the App Store for a compatible version, so I clicked on search and it told me the app isn't available in the U.S. app store.

3. Still running Yosemite, I went to the App Store "Purchased" tab and clicked the iPhoto "Update" button - but the update button had no effect and nothing happened.

4. Still running Yosemite, I deleted the iPhoto app from my Mac by moving it to the trash can and then I restarted my Mac. (I only removed the iPhoto app - I didn't remove or touch my photo library!) After my Mac restarted, I returned to the App Store "Purchased" tab and next to iPhoto was an "Install" button. I clicked Install and iPhoto successfully downloaded and installed 9.6.1. iPhoto is now working fine under Yosemite. iPhoto opened my photo library and all of my pictures are there. Everything looks normal.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions!

Apr 17, 2015 6:57 AM in response to tedster998

I know this is tagged as solved but just in case my experience helps others...

I am in the UK so this all relates to UK apple store. I upgraded my mac two days ago to Yosemite 10.10.3, Apr 15 2015. Beforehand, vaguely concerned about iPhoto, I checked that you could still use it in Yosemite by looking on my husband's newish mac book air that still showed it working - with hindsight, obviously should have looked into it in more detail, but thought it would go as smoothly as previous OS upgrades. Didn't spot that he had the latest iPhoto whereas I had 9.5.1.

So, then when I could no longer use the old version in Yosemite but could also not upgrade it through the App Store, I found this thread. Like tedster998 step 3, I went to the App Store "Purchased" tab and found the "Update" button, clicked it, it whirred for a second or two but seemed to do nothing. I then went to the App Store's "Store" tab and spotted the "Check for unfinished downloads..." option. I clicked it thinking maybe this would finish the update process - iPhoto starts downloading for 20 minutes. The button switches to saying "Installed". (I think I have done it!)

Now, here I am not sure what had actually happened - I think checking for unfinished downloads must have picked up an unfinished download of an old version because, after my Restart and search for iPhoto using Finder, it says it was modified today but still appears to be version 9.5.1 (as it had been throughout).

However, I then try the steps all over again. I move that version to Trash again, go back into Purchases, and now it presents iPhoto with a new "Install" button (which I hadn't got before even though I'm pretty certain I'd moved the old app to Trash that time too - curious). Click that again for another 20 min install, Restart mac and, hey presto, iPhoto.app is installed and shows 9.6.1. And it is back in my toolbar with its old tropical beach/camera icon.

Basically, my lesson from this is 'if at first you don't succeed, try again'!

Only a few hours work searching the internet and all these forums - now, wouldn't it have been easier, Apple, simply to have kept it available to upgrade in the store? Thanks everyone in the thread - would never have got there without you! 🙂

iPhoto 9.6.1 not in App Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.