Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random order slides in Photos slideshow ?

Is it possible to have slides displayed in random order in a slideshow made with Photos app ?

Photos-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 15 inch screen

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 7:46 AM

I hope it will come back in a future update.

And yes I used the feedback link.

49 replies

Jun 8, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Yer_Man

Pointless complexity? Sorry, I totally disagree. The iPhoto program had the shuffle feature, and over the years nearly every slideshow application has had it. There's no engineering territory to blaze in devising photos to appear based on a pseudo-random order. No, this was a program management and marketing design not to take the time and money to implement it. Given the slideshow themes, like "Sliding Panels", "Vintage Prints", and others, having no random theme is most conspicuous.

The Smart Album feature is great, you can add multiple clauses with the + button, but sadly there is not an ORDER BY clause. So you can't even mock a random slideshow if you import a set of photos named with GUIDs, and sort by filename.

Sep 1, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Yer_Man

Since there are at least a couple of Apple tools which can create static slideshows (iMovie and Final Cut Pro, just off the top of my head), but no current tools that will do random slideshows, I'm not sure how it could possibly be "pointless complexity." Particularly since I don't recall (and can't locate via search) any complaints that iPhoto's random photo order for slideshows was viewed as "pointless" or "complex" by anyone; quite the opposite, there are several questions posted in the iPhotos forums about how to manipulate and maximize this particular feature.

Sep 9, 2015 5:30 PM in response to iRaindrop

Yep, iPhoto had the shuffle feature, had it for quite a while. The Photos app on the iPad, iPhone, and AppleTV have the shuffle feature now, meaning that I can open an album in the cloud and play it as a random order slideshow on my little iPhone, my very old iPad, and my Apple TV. But can I open the same slideshow and run it in random on my new, pricey 27" iMac? Nope.

Sep 17, 2015 5:52 PM in response to iRaindrop

iRaindrop,not just most photo slideshows, but iTunes also has a shuffle feature. I'm really, really annoyed at Apple for dropping the shuffle feature from Photos for the iMac, and as of iOS 9 they've also dropped it from Photos for the iPad. They do glitzy ads marketing all the new features for a new iOS but they never tell you that they're dropping features that you love and have used for years. And once you download the new iOS you're stuck with it, and can't go back Boo Apple.

Sep 17, 2015 5:59 PM in response to Archipel Boréal

I hoped I was just not seeing the button, but confirmed with Apple Support yesterday that there is indeed no random/shuffle feature for slideshows in the Photos app. On the iPad there's no solution (I hate you, Apple, for dropping a feature I love). On the iMac the tech support person walked me through setting up a screen saver with a Photos album to use as a slideshow, and I'm pleased with it.

Random order slides in Photos slideshow ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.