Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 update - No Data or Service

I just performed the iOS 8.3 update this morning on my iPhone 6 before work and it appeared to install fine while I was still in WiFi range. Now that I'm out of WiFi range the top left corner of the screen just says, "Searching..."

I've tried:

-turning it off and back on

-holding down the power button and circular button at the same time until it restarts

-toggling the data on and off in settings

-turning on airplane mode for 30+ seconds and then turning airplane mode off

-using an implement to pop the SIM card out and back in while the phone is on, off, etc.

Nothing is working and I am reluctant to do a factory reset. This same thing happened when I did the 8.2 update, but taking out the SIM fixed the issue that time.

No such luck today.

Any advice?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 2:20 AM

Having same issue since upgrade (??) to 8.3.

Since 8.3 update of my iphone 6 I can not get carrier service. Just says "searching".

The sim works in my old iphone 5.

Have done numerous restores, Network resets, Reset all settings.

Spoke to someone at Apple helpdesk & they believe that it is a hardware issue.

Funny how it was working fine before the update.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2015 2:20 AM in response to CaitSith14

Having same issue since upgrade (??) to 8.3.

Since 8.3 update of my iphone 6 I can not get carrier service. Just says "searching".

The sim works in my old iphone 5.

Have done numerous restores, Network resets, Reset all settings.

Spoke to someone at Apple helpdesk & they believe that it is a hardware issue.

Funny how it was working fine before the update.

Apr 12, 2015 6:32 AM in response to CaitSith14

My husband has the same problem. Spent 2 1/2 hours at the Apple Store yesterday. He ended up with a new iPhone 6 but got home and when he restored from backup he still has the same problem. In general info it shows No Sim, even though they did switch it. So maybe we'll go to AT&T and try to get a new SIM and see if that fixes it. If anyone figures this out, please post your solution.

Apr 20, 2015 10:55 AM in response to CaitSith14

For the record, I have also tried (and none of it helped):

• turning it off and back on
  • holding down the power button and circular button at the same time until it restarts
  • reset all settings
  • turning on airplane mode for 30+ seconds and then turning airplane mode off
  • using an implement to pop the SIM card out and back in while the phone is on, off, etc

and have done all the above multiple times, both connected and disconnected from computer.

I want to try restore backup and/or restore iPhone, but it tells me i have to turn off "find my phone" but it won't accept my password (which I know is right because I logged in to iTunes & website), so I can't login in to turn it off. Is there another way to turn off "find my phone"?

Jun 28, 2015 1:04 PM in response to CaitSith14

Same think happened to me when I updated my Iphone 5s to 8.3. Phone was never dropped or jailbroken. If I try a restore in recovery mode or DFU mode on my Mac Book Pro, it gives me all sorts of unknown error codes. If I do a restore in DFU mode on a PC, It works and I get signal back for one or 2 days before it is lost again. I tried going back to previous version of iOS in DFU mode but they won´t let me. Looking at the forums, some people suggest it´s a hardware problem. I find that hard to believe since the problem started with the 8.3 update and that a DFU restore from a PC will make my phone work for 48 hours.

Phone is about a month outside warranty. I will go to an apple store once I get back to North America. (phone was bought there but I am currently in chile). If I get the standard response that it´s a hardware problem and need to pay 200$ to get it fixed, I´ll use it as an ipod touch and look at the competition for a replacement.

Jun 28, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I'm sure they do. But after an iphone 5 with broken camera after 14 months and and my current iphone 5s problems, I don't see how I could justify purchasing another or paying to fix this one. Apple value proposition used to be that you paid extra to get a well built product that lasted longer then the competition, both physically and performance wise. My old Power PC macbook pro that lasted me over 8 years before becoming obsolete is a testimony to that value proposition. Same for my ipad Retina that is almost 4 years old and works flawlessly and rapidly.

Honestly, if you don't have any tips I could try to help my solve my problem, just abstain yourself from useless comments.

iOS 8.3 update - No Data or Service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.