Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage on my iPhone 6 keeps decreasing even after I delete apps. Please HELP!!

I've deleted apps and haven't added ANYTHING but I go to sleep with 2 GB and wake up with 0 in storage. It constantly decreases. Any suggestion?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2017 9:11 PM

Ever since that last update, I've been going through all the problems mentioned here as well. Even though I've had & (used to), love iPhones, since my first iPhone 3, I'm ready to throw in the towel. I had to pay almost $10.00 a month more, to upgrade storage that I already had, & later the same day, it says I'm "out of storage". This has got to be a huge financial windfall, to Apple! I've also had "Apple Support", in the past, completely ruin a new laptop, while walking me through a problen I was having, with a brand new phone. ENOUGH!

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2017 9:11 PM in response to upstateny

Ever since that last update, I've been going through all the problems mentioned here as well. Even though I've had & (used to), love iPhones, since my first iPhone 3, I'm ready to throw in the towel. I had to pay almost $10.00 a month more, to upgrade storage that I already had, & later the same day, it says I'm "out of storage". This has got to be a huge financial windfall, to Apple! I've also had "Apple Support", in the past, completely ruin a new laptop, while walking me through a problen I was having, with a brand new phone. ENOUGH!

Feb 15, 2017 1:24 AM in response to Denni_S_Miles1

I had the same thought about changing to another type phone but my husband has an iPhone 6s Plus and he has no problems with it even though he has many more apps than I do on his phone.

I tried turning off my phone when I get the no storage message and once I turn it back on my storage reads I have memory available. I think the problem started when I installed Waze or possibly a Find My Bus app and I was told that it was running in the background and consuming memory. I deleted both apps and the problem still occurs. It is irritating but I am hoping someone at Apple can determine what is causing this. I love my IPhone and have had no problems before so I'll hang in and see what bug fixes they provide.

Mar 5, 2017 9:50 PM in response to Illusion_love

Ian iPhone 6s plus and have been having the same problem. It all started with no space for photos, so I would delete all photos and messages to create space. Worked for a few months but got old at the never ending"not enough space" message. I even tried to update to 10.2.1 and it wouldn't update. The problem got bigger and bigger. So I did a full factory reset of the phone, and restored from the cloud. After all apps restored I had 5 gigs of available space. Wow! I went from nothing to 5 gigs. Apple should fix this issue, after restoring I was able to update phone to most recent iOS.

Apr 11, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Illusion_love

Im having the same issue. I have 64gb and a few days ago I had 30gbs free, but i woke up today saying my iPhone is full. I've deleted photos and apps (3gb worth) and an hour later it says i have no storage again. when i connect to iTunes it says i have 30 gb free until i go to sync, then it says that I don't have any space.

Im using an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1

Apr 30, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Illusion_love

I upgraded to 8.3 and that's when all of my troubles began...my phone is now constantly stating the memory is full...I've deleted ALL apps other than the standard apps that apple forces you to have...I've deleted ALL pics and videos...I can't use my camera...I can't send or receive text msgs or emails...every time I even attempt to open my email it crashes...I've hard re-booted at least 50 times and it still says i have no storage and I basically can't do anything with this $600 pos!!!! I'm so heated right now i want to throw this phone as far as I can across the room! And oh yeah...the wait at the Apple store is 2 hours...guess i don't have the only POS in town!

Does anyone have any suggestions please!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2015 11:51 PM in response to Illusion_love

Sounds like something with the software, [hopefully before this started to happen a backup of the device was done] as if a backup is done now will be useless.

use a computer with itunes restore the device and set up as new. add apps back a small amount at a time, pay attention to the storage usage before adding, after adding each group. Once all is added back as well as other data, keep an eye on the storage usage for the next 24 hours. If still seeing this issue either contact AppleCare phone support or set up an appointment at the nearest Apple Retail Store 'if have one'.

Be prepared to possibly do another restore or other troubleshooting steps.

Jul 29, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Illusion_love

This is also the recommended solution from Apple (seems to be the default one for any issue 🙂 ).

Anyway - it worked on mine as well. The problem is it keeps happening and although the initial restore may only take 10 minutes, it takes much longer for all the apps to reload. I'm hoping that a perm fix will be included in an OS patch sooner rather than later as it isn't always convenient to run home to plug your phone into your computer.

Sep 22, 2015 8:37 AM in response to upstateny

When will Apple concede that this is their problem and FIX IT!

I am really tiring of the ambilvelant attitude of Apple. It is basically very poor software that creates these issues but they relax under the criticism and admire their ever increasing stock price. I have 7 friends who have all now moved to samsung/Android phones and they are exceptionally pleased. As soon as I am able, I will ditch the Iphone I have and move too. Only this type of "resistance" will get any response from Apple

Oct 3, 2015 7:24 AM in response to upstateny

Same! I had this issue since I updated to iOS 8 and I have performed three restores until I updated to iOS 9.0.2 yesterday with a restore and the issue seems to be persistent through all the iOS iterations. Maybe this is a minor issue for Apple where only a smaller population of their users suffer from this and they tend to just tip it off from their table. Seriously, I have been deleting stuff and not adding anything since iOS 8 - I started with 200 songs, 215 apps (along with that huge Garage Band) and several Music Videos, and still 3 or 4 Gigs of free space left all on a 16GB iPhone 4s, and now after I restired yesterday, I'm down to 150 apps, "0" music, "0" Music Videos, and this is ridiculous because, when I performed a restore yesterday, and restored the backup, I ended with 5.4GB free space and now, right after 24 hours, it is showing 4.1GB free, even though I haven't added anything, and I haven't even connected it to iTunes if they think that's gonna push some "corrupt" files while it syncs, I don't.

If this persists, I will have no option other than to switch to another company, which is not Apple.

Oct 9, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Illusion_love

I am having the same issue with my iPhone 6 Plus. It didn't start until the Apple Music iOS update. I have no idea if that is the issue but that is what sticks out. I've never been so dissatisfied with an Apple product and I can't afford to upgrade. Ill whipped my phone clean twice so far. Each time it seems fixed until at some point my memory disappears. When I swipe the phone clean it allows me to use all 11.5 free space. Then about a week later "free space" shrinks and the numbers do not add up. The only thing that sticks out is that I use Apple Music, put my phone in airplane mode at night, use facebook/twitter app, and put movies on my phone. There has to be an answer somewhere in there. Next time I swipe my phone Ill avoid Apple Music and Sleep mode and see if that makes a difference.

Storage on my iPhone 6 keeps decreasing even after I delete apps. Please HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.