Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in Tiger 10.4 Installation Loop - Insert Disk 2

I purchased a vintage 2006 Imac with the original 10.4.6 OS X disk.

I used the two disks successfully to reinstall the original operating system on the hard rive which had OS X 10.6.

I tried to re-install all of the software on the install disks. This was a big mistake.

The first disk worked well, but the second install disk results in an error message that the install was in error and ask to re-insert the second disk to repair the error.

I have tried four different times to reinstall without success.

I have tried booting from disk one and I get the request to re-insert disk two.

I have tried to boot into various modes by pressing shift key and the command key during powering up. I went through a hardware check that proved that the hardware is working well and I also got an EFI icon. No matter, there is never an option to begin the install process again. All I get is the same message to re-insert second disk.

Is there a way to escape the endless do-loop of being routed back the install disk two?

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 1:26 PM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2015 2:53 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I successfully installed the tiger 10.4 over the 10.6.

The problem arrived when I tried to install 10.4 with all of its bells and whistles over 10.4 again.

I am in a do loop inside the install menu and cannot get out.

How do I escape?

How do I get to the disk utilities? I do not need to salvage data. I will galdly erase all of data on the drive.

Please advise.

Apr 10, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Mike.LeBlanc

That second Disc thing happens frequently, the best way around it is to do a Custom install, and eliminate enough Printer Drivers, Languages, Fonts, and Applications you don't need... then it may skip #2 altogether.

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key or alt key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Apr 10, 2015 5:26 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for support. You all are very prompt in your reply.

The oddest thing happened:

I had another set of install disk for 10.4 of the same version and tried that set's disk two and Viola! the install worked.

I know that I did not mix the two install sets because each were marked distinctly.

Thanks for your support. I have working with desktop computers since 1980's and I am a convert to Mac's over the past three years. I have been curious about the software I never used because I used Window's at work and at home. I am setting a complex home network with a server, apple TV, an current IMac, and an older vintage iMac. I look forward to participating in this wiki (or do you call it a board?).

Once again thanks

Stuck in Tiger 10.4 Installation Loop - Insert Disk 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.