Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 iPhone 4S wifi problem

Alright so I have an iPhone 4S and I am running iOS 8.3. I have had the wifi problem were it turns off randomly and the update fixed it for about two hours and now it refuses to stay connected. I don't know what to do.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 10, 2015 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 7:23 AM

iOS 8.3 fixed nothing for me. Every morning I wake, turn on my iPhone 6 and the wifi is disconnected. It shows connected but refuses to access the Internet. After 7 months of this issue I am losing patience.

43 replies

Apr 12, 2015 7:16 PM in response to Snorter

UPDATE : talked through this issue with Apple Support. Did a factory install (clean install) from iTunes. On reboot of the phone the WiFi button was still greyed out and my tech support person pronounced the 4S as "definitely a hardware issue" and referred me to a local repair shop. He left me restoring my backup .... once that had completed, my WiFi button went to "Not Connected" but it was active again. I'm now back on WiFi.

My issues have been my 4S dropping out of WiFi and then the WiFi button becoming disabled.

Steps:

• back up iphone to iTunes (Back Up Now button)
  • clean install iPhone from iTunes (Restore iPhone... button)
  • Disconnected from iTunes
  • went through set up screens including signing up to iCloud and turning on "Find my Phone"
  • having set up the iPhone the WiFi button was still greyed out / inactive and this is where the 'hardware fault' was diagnosed by tech support
  • Reconnected to iTunes
  • then restored from the last backup (per above) after being prompted by iTunes on re-connection
  • After logging on the phone the WiFi button re-activated and I was able to rejoin my WiFi network

Tech support was excellent, included screen share session. Apple his name started with G. and my case # ended in 779 ... but diagnosis of hardware fault I feel is now incorrect, as I'm now using the phone again. It's always felt like a software issue to me.

Problems:

1. I can't log back on to re-open my case as it's not linked to the email it thinks I own, so I can't tell Apple this ... Apple I hope you are watching. Frustrating as this experience could hold the key to what I see happening to a lot of iPhone owners out there.
  2. I don't trust my re-established WiFi connection yet and will try another WiFi network before commenting again.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Apr 12, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Snorter

Since last update:

• Connected to another WiFi network successfully
  • Checked email OK via WiFi
  • After email sync WiFi dropped out pretty much immediately and reverted to 3G

WiFi status is 'Off' and working again and the WiFi button is greyed out so can't attempt to switch it on.

Anyone else seen the first sync with Apple Mail being a cause of WiFi drops?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Apr 13, 2015 11:14 AM in response to xJayPx

Hi problems here as well- upgraded to 8.3 - 2 days later wifi quit - button grayed out so now I have no wifi. Looking on forum seems to have been a problem in the past that 8.3 was supposed to fix! Loads of suggestions (in past) that upgrading overheats wifi component but nothing from Apple. Any ideas? Will apole eventually release a fix? will factory restore fix it? Many thanks (am new to this site)

Apr 13, 2015 12:35 PM in response to xJayPx

How bad is this problem for you guys?

I just bought a used iPhone 4s for 65CAD (good price, that's like 50 USD), and when I was trying the iPhone for 30 minutes at the local coffee shop, everything worked fine. Now I got to school (UBC), and Wi-Fi does not want to work. It connects and disconnects in about 5 seconds, then connects again and disconnects immediately. I did a factory reset, that did not help.

Is this the problem you guys are experiencing, or is it worse and I bought a faulty device? I am also running it without SIM card, but that shouldn't affect Wi-Fi.

Apr 13, 2015 1:17 PM in response to xJayPx

Today's update and attempts to fix:

• back up iphone to iTunes (Back Up Now button)
  • clean install iPhone from iTunes (Restore iPhone... button)
  • Disconnected from iTunes
  • went through set up screens but avoided setting up iCloud and said No to every option
  • having set up the iPhone the WiFi button was still greyed out / inactive
  • Reconnected to iTunes, trust computer, etc
  • then restored from the last backup (per above) after being prompted by iTunes on re-connection
  • Trying a theory that background sync is messing with the WiFi connection, so turned off all:
    • Mail
    • Contacts
    • Calendars
    • Location Services
    • Notifications (set all to Do Not Include)
    • Reminders
    • Messages (iMessage)
    • FaceTime
    • Background App Refresh
    • Siri
    • Spotlight Search
    • Diagnostics and Usage set to Don't Send
  • On reboot was able to rejoin WiFi network but dropped back to 3G after using Tweetbot for a short while ... so that theory didn't bear fruit
  • This morning I was able to join another WiFi network which seemed stable, but eventually dropped in/out again intermittently and then failed
  • I have noticed when the WiFi is dropped and the greyed out WiFi button is presenting, if you go into the BlueTooth setting it is stuck showing a spinner. No button is available to click. Setting BlueTooth on from the Control Centre to On/Off works, but this has no effect on the BlueTooth setting which remains showing a spinner.

Just reporting what I've tried as my testing time on this is hours.

That will be it from me until 8.31 appears. If it doesn't it will mean throwing away what has been my favourite iPhone which has been rendered useless by the WiFi drop out issue.

If the issue is hardware I'm sure Apple could put out an app that checked the WiFi chip's integrity ... at least this would help customers make the decision to attempt a repair or buy a new phone. The problem for I expect most 4S users is being told 'it's fixed' with iOS 8.3, then being told 'you have a hardware problem' when I can make the phone reconnect to WiFi after the above process (which takes hours) and then not knowing if any further work is being done to bring the 4S back into serviceability.

Apple if you are watching, please take action.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Apr 14, 2015 6:00 AM in response to Snorter

Hi, 2 days ago I started to have the same problems with my iPhone 4S: No WiFi.

I did also restore my iPhone (iOS 8.3 and data backup) using the latest iTunes version (took some time...)

After this long restore process, everything was fine for several hours: WiFi was available and working.

Then I had the same problems again: WiFi off and WiFi settings blocked.

I am pretty sure that WiFi will work fine if I do the whole restore process again.

But I am realizing it will work only for few hours.

This is not a "hardware problem": because WiFi works fine for several hours after a full software restore.

Apple if you are reading, please take action.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Apr 18, 2015 12:29 AM in response to xJayPx

My roommate has an iPhone 4s as well, which was rebooting randomly, dropping wireless, and generally acting like a sad puppy. He didn't realize that the settings between his mac and his phone were shared in terms of "network" Something I found out when my iPhone 5s wouldn't connect to the network, repeatedly. This part only applies if you have a mac running OSX. Because iCloud will sync the wireless settings between the mac and iPhone. In his case (and mine as well) the settings on his computer were creating the issue due to a corrupt wireless profile.

Since this was April I do spring cleaning of my phone at this time of year so I will share that as well. The resolution was doing the backup to iTunes. Wipe Phone and Restore OS. Sync back with iTunes. However, once the phone is wiped, delete any network settings that are currently on your mac and Reboot. (if you don't have a mac then delete any wireless settings from your phone before you back it up to iTunes. After the restore process is complete (or if you have a mac after you reboot) Enter the wireless settings verify things like DNS AND DHCP for IPV4 and IPV6 are set properly. Also encouraged him to go through his apps and take a good look any that have not been updated in 6+ months (leaning heavily on removal if they aren't updated in the past year) Apps that haven't been updated can cause lots of random issues and I am finding this year that a lot of developers have just stopped and shut down development of apps they created. (Support sites in App store for the dev don't work any longer, emails returned undeliverable, etc) Once that was done He has had no issues... except with Siri :-) Hope that helps with your performance issues.

Apr 18, 2015 9:23 AM in response to xJayPx

Upgraded to iOS 8.3. Still WiFi switch greyed out and no Bluetooth (spinning wheel).

Switched phone off. Put in freezer for 20 mins. Switched back on. All fixed (can now switch WiFi on as it isn't greyed out and Bluetooth works).

Best ask Apple whether they have had a bad batch of chips. Not software unless some setting in iOS 8.2 was causing something to overheat!

Apr 18, 2015 2:49 PM in response to xJayPx

So, I just bought an iPhone 4S, brand new from the Apple store, last month. I went home and set it up and everything. It was running ios 7. The internet wasn't working / grayed out. I thought this was just a software problem, so a few weeks later I checked back, opened up iTunes, checked for the update, and saw ios 8.2. Immediately, I thought somehow maybe this new ios would maybe fix the wifi problems I was having? So I then upgraded to it. I was still having wifi problems, grayed out, not being able to see the bluetooth switch either, only a spinning icon next to it. I looked on youtube and threads on this website to see if maybe anyone else was having the same problem because I hadn't heard any of my friends having this problem. When I found out that other people were having it and they said 8.3 helped (mostly), I upgraded to 8.3 a week later. 8.3 did NOTHING. Okay, I don't get grayed out wifi buttons, but it does not scan for wifi networks! Additionally, it drops the wifi connections! The past 3 ios updates were crappy! I don't understand why Apple does this to us, the only way you're going to make good money is by making good software updates, not creating bugs that anger and frustrate us customers into buying new iPhones which might make matters worse !! I say Apple shall make an 8.4 or 9.0 iOS very soon on this wifi bug because obviously people are still having these problems. I heard Apple also deleted other people's threads who had the correct solution to fixing the wifi problem, but they never deleted the overheating your device or freezing it. We all know by doing this you are going to break your phone. Hm, I wonder why they never deleted that but they deleted the real solution! also sometimes the wifi settings dont even scan for wireless connections ! although i have wifi in the area i am in. so i try and connect to the internet by clicking the "other..." button below the choose a network area and it says "could not scan for wireless networks" WHAT IS THIS!? I JUST WANT MY WIFI BACK 😟😠😢 i already wasted all my data !!!! now i have to wait til next month for more data just so i can use the wifi !!!

Apple, If you are reading, PLEASE, for the people who have iPhone4S And this problem, all we ask is for you to fix it. It's better than creating user generated bugs so u can get people to buy the new recent iPhones. Can u just make a fix ? i know you are probably getting tired of seeing the same iphone wifi 4S problem, if u fix the bug u wont be seeing this anymore . please take action

-- Unsatisfied iPhone4S Customer --

iOS 8.3 iPhone 4S wifi problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.