Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.1.2: Match BROKEN! Deleted playlists, etc.!

I'm just trying to gauge if anyone else is having this problem. I've noticed since recent releases of iTunes I've had more and more problems with iTunes Match. It originally worked fine (I signed up the day it was released), and it is getting REALLY bad now. After the most recent update (12.1.2) I spent hours, as usual, rating, tagging (BMP, Key, etc.) all of my newer tracks. I soon find out that iTunes Match has deleted all of those tags and reverted back to the original tag. What's worse, no matter how many times I delete playlists, they just come back a few minutes later. I literally deleted a folder with a playlist in it 15 times, every time I look, there it is again! To REALLY top it off, today I had been working on building a playlist for about five hours (I'm a DJ, I build my lists in iTunes then import them in to Traktor). Literally as I'm working on moving tracks between playlists, iTunes COMPLETELY DELETES my entire playlist and reverts my other playlist back to some version from the day before!

It's REALLY horrible, not only unusable, but to the point of causing me serious problems. I've been a Mac user for at least 20 years and I can definitely say I've never had a problem like this with iTunes. I've just never seen anything built by Apple that actually deletes files without any interaction. Oh, any the other computer on my iTunes Match account does have the latest version of iTunes as well.

Anyone else experiencing this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.6 GHz - 16 RAM / 512GB SSD

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 8:32 AM

34 replies

Apr 12, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Bobbypoz

I had to just resort to shutting off iTunes Match all together, which is quite sad. It was a great feature when it was released and has worked great for a long time, now it just seems be getting worse with every release, it just seems like there is no clear direction with iTunes. I restored my library to a TM backup and my playlists reappeared, then within 10 seconds iTunes deleted them again. This type of bug is really unacceptable, especially when this is one of the few services that Apple charges for.

Apr 12, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Cornelius Qualley

I had the same issues today. But it only happens for me if I make a smart playlist and one of the rules is related to the icloud status. So for example if I make a smart playlist that has all the songs with the icloud status as uploaded. The list will delete after a short time. If I make another one that says songs i have played more the 10 times that one will not be deleted. So in my case the rules matter for what ones stay and what playlists go.

Apr 12, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Cornelius Qualley

I'm a DJ as well and use two Macbook pros for my music. One of my MBP is in my studio for me to buy music and build playlists, then I use match to sync up my other MBP to use at gigs.

Since the new update, Match will kill any new playlist. It will only let your iTunes account have the playlists that we created before the update.

I tested it out with Apple Support on the phone with me, we went through 7 new playlists, trying to see what happens and everytime, it would dis-appear.

One time, I did not even click on update iTunes match and the playlist just disappeared from the screen.

I'm on hold now, waiting on an engineer to escalate the issue. A fix needs to be done. By the way, like you, I've lost 4 hours of work last night and 3 hours of work today. This all happened before I called. I've been on the phone with apple for 3 hours now......

Come on programers and engineers! You did not see this coming????? Really..... Playlists are essential to any good iTunes account and it's definitely essential to DJ's that use iTunes to play our music that we pay for legally.

Apr 12, 2015 6:55 PM in response to Cornelius Qualley

Just got off the phone. After a few crazy things they tried, as if it were my fault, i spoke with an engineer I think. He took down a bunch of data and had me do a lot of resets and turn offs of everything in iTunes. Now my iTunes Match is updating, but it seems as though it's re-uploading my entire library which will take hours and hours. He did write up a fix it note and will pass to the software guys. It's definitely a bug, and he said they will fix it. i have to call back tomorrow.

Apr 13, 2015 12:30 AM in response to Cornelius Qualley

This problem start to happen on Friday for me and I ran some troubleshooting and it worked until Saturday afternoon, I am glad that I wasn't the only one having this problem! I talked to one of the senior advisor through iTunes last night, he said that they will reset my iTunes match account, should take about 48hours which is tomorrow, and should get an email from him as well after its done. I turned on the service today just to see if it was working hopefully, but no luck.. Every time I send a song to one of my playlist, and update iTunes match the whole playlist disappears... I also tried through my iPhone that does the trick until you want to add more songs through iTunes on the mac. This is a big bug for me, cause I love having this service!

iTunes: 12.1.2

Apr 13, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Cornelius Qualley

I'm having the same issue. It started when I tried to create a playlist on Saturday. Deleted that playlist. Thought it was a bug so I made it again (20 min each time) and it deleted it, deleted another playlist, and replaced all the songs in the other playlist with the songs from this playlists. Then I tried to import previous playlists and it deleted half of the playlists from each playlist folder I have (roughly 10 playlists per folder). I thought the problem would be fixed by now so I decided to add a new song to an already existing playlist this morning and it deleted that playlist as well. This ***** and I don't know what to do.

Apr 13, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Bobbypoz

From him, it sounded server, I think personally their is a bug in the software it wasn't doing this on 12.1 I mean there were minor problems with iTunes Match on the previous software but nothing as severe than this! If it is server and multiple users are effected then it will still be a long wait cause they have to reset those who are having issues individually. We shall see either today or tomorrow if I can do anything with iTunes Match. I will let you know!

Apr 13, 2015 7:49 AM in response to broncosfighton

Right now, I'm either waiting until later today or tomorrow to turn on the service if one of the senior advisors at iTunes don't email me back about resetting my iTunes Match account on the server to see if that fixes the issue, but as of right now you can't really do anything. I would turn it off right now, and make a playlist like that, and plugin the devices that you want music on. I've been working on it since Saturday afternoon, trust me I tried everything that I can think of! Out of the blue you found a solution Please share!

iTunes 12.1.2: Match BROKEN! Deleted playlists, etc.!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.