Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.3 Ridiculously Slow Download...

I'm updating my iPad 2. I'm connected directly to my MacBook Pro downloading the update via iTunes over 50MB/s fiber optic connection - I'm getting 30 hours for the estimated download time (when it doesn't just crap out all together?). I have disconnected and reconnect and always the same.

What's happening here?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 10:37 AM

12 replies

Apr 11, 2015 12:09 PM in response to jdingwell

jdingwell wrote:

I'm updating my iPad 2. I'm connected directly to my MacBook Pro downloading the update via iTunes over 50MB/s fiber optic connection - I'm getting 30 hours for the estimated download time (when it doesn't just crap out all together?). I have disconnected and reconnect and always the same.

What's happening here?

Just for the record, your data rate is not 50MB/s. It's 50Mb/s.

I don't understand why you are connecting through the MacBook but, without even knowing the details of your connection, I suspect that that's the cause of your problem. Why not a direct WiFi connection to the router, keeping the Mac out of the loop?

For comparison purposes, my Internet connection is 30Mbps. The download took about an hour and the installation of the upgrade took another hour.

Apr 12, 2015 10:03 PM in response to jdingwell

Friend & I had same problem - driving us nuts - It apparently has something to do w/ problematic DNS servers in Western US - found help here: Yosemite download is insanely slow (nothing wrong with my network)

- See Frank252 & ryanbr responses @ above URL.

Here's what I did & it worked for iPad2, iPad Air2, & iPod 4, using iTunes on a Mac-mini to load iOS 8.3:

1. Reset the DNS servers (per Frank252) - using System Preferences/Network/(Ethernet or Wifi)/Advanced /DNS - to the Google servers: 8.8.8.8, & 8.8.4.4. Note your original server ID's, so you can revert if you want.

2. Clear DNS cache per OS using terminal commands as described by ryanbr:

• Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache
  • Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
  • Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
  • Mac OSX 10.5 & 10.6 (Leopards) : dscacheutil -flushcache
  • Mac OSX 10.4 (Tiger) : lookupd -flushcache

You may get away w/ skipping this step - try first without, if unfamiliar w/ terminal command process.

3. Plug iPad into Mac-mini, bring up iTunes & initiate update - I started out w/ download only, beings I didn't trust the SOB to get the job done in a reasonable time after screwing around for a couple of days w/ this. Anyhow, download time went from >>20hr (stated time) to ~ 30 min on 10Mbs DSL.

4. Initiate install on iPad per iTunes.

I also had slow download for OS X/Yosemite updates, & this did the trick for that also.

If you want to do the update directly, wirelessly (ie, w/o computer/iTunes) on your i-device, you would likely need to do the DNS server change at your router.

- Hope this is clear enough to help - good luck.

Apr 14, 2015 4:26 PM in response to sharkmag

Sharkmag - sorry it didn't work for you. The website below tells you how to change the DNS servers on your i-Device(s) directly, which may be more straightforward for you, & may obviate the need to mess w/ your router to change DNS servers (as I mentioned above):

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-dns-on-iphone-ipad/

They also list alternate DNS servers to try, which may be handy. A couple of other websites indicated that you can clear the DNS cache after changing servers by turning 'Airplane Mode' (@ the top of i-Device 'Settings' list) on, then off again (assuming you're already connected wirelessly). Then try some web searches to verify your still connected, before starting the iOS update download.

This all seems easier than what I described above previously, but I don't know anyone who's tried it to solve the slow iOS 8.3 download problem - it seems it should work, if the DNS server is the problem. Downside possibility (if problem is something else) is that you may lock/tie - up your i-Device for a long download, or risk issues if the download crashes, or you feel the need to abort - but you may have been there already anyhow, if you're as frustrated as I was w/ this issue. Download via a computer makes it easier to monitor what's going on and cleanly abort, if necessary. A possible upside - if it works- you would know it's a DNS problem, & you can take a stab at changing the DNS server for your Yosemite Mac again.

Hope this helps - good luck

iOS 8.3 Ridiculously Slow Download...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.