Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No video support with iPad lightning-VGA adapter (iOS 8.3)

Just subscribed to HBO NOW and bought a lightning-to-VGA adapter ($55!) to watch HBO on my computer monitor (no HDMI, only VGA) from my iPad mini. Worked fine on iOS 8.2, but then when upgraded to 8.3 I could no longer get video support. Still have iOS 8.2 on my iPod Touch, and when that device is connected to my computer monitor, I can watch HBO (and Netflix). So obviously 8.3 no longer supports video with a lightning-to-VGA adapter. Is Apple aware of this? Will there be a fix soon?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 4:52 AM

vga connected projector fails with netflix after upgrade ios 8.3 on ipad air - other streaming apps (abc, cw) still work. netflix goes to dark screen - closed captions still show up, but no video content. netflix says 'talk to apple', apple says 'this is a netflix app problem - wait until they release a new app which always happens after ios upgrade'.

from researching online, this is not the first time this problem has occurred, yet both parties claim ignorance.

have tried reloading app, cycling devices etc to no avail

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2015 4:52 AM in response to Zisi

vga connected projector fails with netflix after upgrade ios 8.3 on ipad air - other streaming apps (abc, cw) still work. netflix goes to dark screen - closed captions still show up, but no video content. netflix says 'talk to apple', apple says 'this is a netflix app problem - wait until they release a new app which always happens after ios upgrade'.

from researching online, this is not the first time this problem has occurred, yet both parties claim ignorance.

have tried reloading app, cycling devices etc to no avail

Apr 12, 2015 5:15 AM in response to bangnsaw

vga does not support hdcp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

which is used as drm for most media they want to protect from being copied one would think that would include netflix

if both claim ignorance they likes are just that, most such support people lack much insight into the more technical aspects of things

but the real question is if it worked at one point why and same with material bought from itunes which would also be using hdcp

May 6, 2015 3:45 PM in response to foice.news

I had the same problem with an iPad Air 1 once I upgraded to ios 8.3. Following several suggestions online, I did the following:

1. Via iTunes Store app, I logged out.

2. Settings, General, Reset (all the way at the bottom), Reset all Settings (this doesn't remove any data/apps/etc, it just resets all the iPad settings.

3. Did a Hard Reboot (hold down power and main button until iPad shuts off).

Once I turned it back on, now I could use the iPad via lightning adapter to watch video on a TV.

May 17, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Zisi

I have an iPad Air with Lighting to VGA cable and just upgraded to IOS 8.3 three days ago. Ever since I did that, HBO Go plays audio but the video comes up black. I tried Countryclub6340's trick but it did not work. I can't believe Apple hasn't fixed this yet, it seems like they don't know or don't care. It's been a month already according to the date from the OP. I use HBO on a daily basis and it has been very frustrating.

The moral of the story - never do software updates. Don't fix something that's not broken.

No video support with iPad lightning-VGA adapter (iOS 8.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.