Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my Apple TV to display Photo library?

My Apple TV always did a great job of displaying my iPhoto content. Now that I have switched to Photo, how do I get my Apple TV to switch to displaying my Photo content also. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 3:34 PM

You can use home sharing, just switch the source to the photos app within iTunes (file -.home sharing - choose photos to share)

As far as streaming directly, that is not yet supported

38 replies

Apr 12, 2015 8:16 PM in response to mr1213

I found the same issue trying to update pictures for the AppleTV3.

From what I can determine the issue is in iTunes itself not being able to select the new Photos app file format.

You will note that if you look inside your "Pictures" folder there is a new file called "Photo Library.migratedphotolibrary" (which is really a database of existing iPhoto pictures), plus a new file "Photos Library.photoslibrary".

Well, for whatever reason, it appears Apple missed or forgot that iTunes needs to be able to read the new file. Of course you can see your existing iPhoto pictures inside of Photos, but when it comes to being able to select them to share in iTunes, it just is not selectable - so much for the "IT JUST WORKS" factor - yet another defect from my perspective.

Besides this being some form of defect, it really is not intuitive that you have go into iTunes to select photos for the AppleTV. Or, rather it is not obvious as the Apple TV does not show up like the other iOS devices. User Experience (UX) is a hide and seek feature.

Apr 13, 2015 11:06 AM in response to mr1213

I'm not sure what vazandrew is saying.

I would like someone else to confirm that with Yosemite 10.10.3, iTunes 12.1.2.27, Photos 1.0 (209.52.0) and AppleTV3 7.2, and they are able select pictures by File -> Home Sharing -> Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV, and actually be able to choose photos to share from within the iTunes app.

How do I get my Apple TV to display Photo library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.