Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS data not available to apps after iOS 8.3 update

I'm using a Wi-Fi only iPad with remote GPS connected via bluetooth (Bad Elf GPS Pro). Following update to 8.3, the GPS position data from the Bad Elf receiver is not available to other apps on the iPad that require it (in particular, Seattle Avionics FlyQ efb). Bad Elf bluetooth connection is good, and the GPS position data is displayed on the iPad using the Bad Elf accessory app, but it appears to not be available to the FlyQ app. Spent hours with tech support and other paths trying to fix this problem, including reloading iOS 8.3 update and applications, and even bought a new Bad Elf GPS receiver. I think this is a fairly common hardware/software combination (Wi-Fi only iPad, Bad Elf GPS, FlyQ app) for private aircraft pilots, so would expect others to be seeing the same problem (unless they were smarter than I was, and delayed updating their OS). Have others experienced this problem or found a solution? Quite frustrating, as navigation is the primary use for my iPad.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 5:57 PM

Actually, it's a bug on all bluetooth GPS devices since iOS 8.3 !

I personally use Garmin Glo and Dual Electronics 150 & 160 and the trouble remains the same.

Bad Elf blog suggest that Apple is aware of the problem and will correct it very soon.

I will believe it when i'll see it...

249 replies

Apr 14, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Mark72658

Hi Mark,

Take a look at our blog for a summary of the issue and status updates. We are tracking this very closely with Apple and got confirmation on Sat AM that it is being investigated. We've also provided all of the low-level logs that should help them isolate and fix the issue quickly. I'm hopeful we'll see a fix in the next point release (8.3.1 or 8.3.2) which usually follows major iOS updates by 1-2 weeks.

Again, sorry for the hassle and rest assured we will do everything in our power to get this resolved ASAP. Drop a note to support@bad-elf.com with any specific questions. If this issue is blocking you from flying please get in touch and we'll see what we can do to help.

Best regards,

Brett

CTO/Co-Founder

Bad Elf, LLC

Apr 13, 2015 8:37 AM in response to louisfromvaudreuil-dorion

Hello!

This issue only affects external GPS receivers (like your Garmin GLO). The internal GPS on the cellular-equipped iPads seems to be working fine.

You can read more here:

http://bad-elf.com/blogs/bad-elf/18013536-alert-compatibility-issue-with-apple-i os-8-3-and-external-gps-receivers

http://blog.foreflight.com/2015/04/11/customer-notice-issue-with-apple-ios-8-3-a nd-external-bluetooth-gps-receivers/

Best regards,

Brett

Apr 14, 2015 8:45 AM in response to BrettAtBadElf

Thanks, Brett. Although I use a Dual unit (Dual hasn't even acknowledge there's an issue on its website), I appreciate Bad Elf keeping users informed. Were this a Microsoft bug we might as well stop flying, but with Apple there's a chance.

As always, I'm curious how a developer managed to break part of the OS that was not involved in the upgrade. Also curious why Apple didn't do sufficient alpha or beta testing on this issue, or release it to hardware and software developers to allow them to test it, to pick up such an systemic issue. Then again, I recall iOS updates that crippled the ability to use the iPhone. 😁

Apr 14, 2015 8:56 AM in response to buff.flyer

buff.flyer,

Yeah, there are pros and cons to using any platform, but this is one of the major negatives. I am confident this will be fixed quickly due to the importance of reliable GPS for commercial and military users. Obviously private pilots like us are impacted as well, but we don't have our own corporate Apple sales rep to call ;-)

Also, at Bad Elf we're doing an internal review of our QA process to see how we can reduce the odds of something like this happening again. The text matrix is getting a bit crazy: (iOS hardware models, iOS versions) X (Bad Elf hardware, Bad Elf firmware) X (Bad Elf app, 3rd party apps) and unfortunately there will also be random/unplanned iOS point releases that may show up anytime 24/7 -- which means pager duty!

I will post an update to this thread when I have any updates on the issue.

Best regards,

Brett

Apr 18, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Mark72658

I finally had time to complete search on rolling back to 8.2 As of today Apple is still signing 8.2 -- not much of a surprise considering what a Charlie Foxtrot 8.3 is.

I successfully rolled back my iPad Air to 8.2 without bricking it. Now I just need to survive the endless nag screens urging me to upgrade to the POS 8.3. I though Apple was better the MS, but have re-learned a valuable lesson: "Just say 'No!' to version oh."

For anyone else suffering having Apple brick their Bluetooth GPS device, I found this web page clear and accurate advice on rolling back. It comes complete with links to a short instructional video and links to the 8.2 firmware. It should work as long as Apple keeps signing 8.2

Good luck, all.

GPS data not available to apps after iOS 8.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.