Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad call quality after ios 8.3 upgrade

After the new IOS 8.3 update my Call quality has worsened by a lot.

The sound is crackeled and distorted as if the volume is too high.

Before the update the sound quality was perfect.

I have tested this in areas with perfect a reception/signal.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 1:36 AM

71 replies

Apr 19, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Imperiu5

i have the same issue iOS 8.3 bad call quality, i hear a buzzing/distortion if the caller has deep voices or when volume up loud.

i have found a work around for now, turn on 'Hearing Aid Mode' that cures it but it isnt a permanent solution as it is always looking for hearing aids to connect to.which drains the battery.

downgrading back to iOS 8.2 & everything works fine & call quality is clear as it should be.

i'm glad i'm not the only one having this problem as when i contacted apple they said its the first time they have heard of it.

Apr 20, 2015 10:36 AM in response to motahir

Same here. Apple denied an 8.3 software fault. My iPhone 6 Plus was only 2 months old and Apple swapped it with a remanufactured one this week! (I'm not happy!). Fault also present on this phone.

As others - Call quality is terrible on calls to some contacts, but not all of them. Crackling and distortion even if the volume is set at lowest and also in areas with great cell reception.

Come on Apple - get it fixed!

Apr 20, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Imperiu5

Check and see which kind of signaling the phone is using.

Just updated my i6+ and discovered in Settings / Cellular that the old Enable 4G toggle was gone, replaced with a Voice & Data subitem. Tapping on that led to a screen where I could select 2G, 3G or 4G. Needless to say, 2G service, though widely available, leaves much to be desired. I believe this adjustment may be carrier-specific so YMMV.

Apr 21, 2015 8:43 AM in response to motahir

I notice you say you downgraded back to version 8.2 from 8.3. How did you do that? I have upgraded a 4s from 7 to 8.3 and wish I had never done so, as new problems have occured eg. device not showing in i-tunes. Everything worked perfectly before. I didn't think there was any way one could revert to a previous version on the i-phone? Or have I missed something in your answer?

Bad call quality after ios 8.3 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.