Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in numbers, how do I use find/replace to change a cell reference in formulas?

in numbers, how do I use find/replace to change a cell reference in formulas? In Excel, formulas are searched/updated by "Replace" just like other text in cells.

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 8:50 PM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 9:23 AM in response to jrdooley

From what I've found reading online, iWork '09 allowed find replace of formulas and cell references, however, it appears apple has removed the ability in (or before) Numbers 3.5.3. This is very frustrating. I wish Apple would take the development of Numbers more seriously. I prefer to work in Numbers for the simpler needs, but wish it was robust enough to handle anything above 'simple'.

In my case I have a single numbers document with multiple sheets. I have duplicated sheets so I can change some variables on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th duplicate and compare the results against each other sheet. I am now wanting to create a sheet of 'universal variables' so the change in the universal variable affects all sheets including duplicates.

So for instance, I want to find:

Variables::$B$10

and replace with:

Sheet1::Variables::$B$10

This would result in the cell referencing a cell on a different sheet.

If anyone has a solution, I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you can confirm that my findings are correct, I would appreciate that as well.

in numbers, how do I use find/replace to change a cell reference in formulas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.