Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW file import to Photos; OS X 10.10.3

How to import the RAW files into Photos?

Panasonic DMC-LX3. I shoot both RAW and JPG images. iPhoto would import both images for each picture, Photos just imports the JPG. I am NOT using the iCloud photo library. The picture in Photos has a small shadowed box in left bottom corner with a J in it - almost like there is a hidden file, no idea what the J means, can find no reference in help files or online.

I've tried importing direct from the memory card in iMac slot and with camera plugged into USB - no difference. Photos did pull over all the RAW files from the iPhoto library on first startup.

The LX3 is listed as supported by OS X Yosemite V10.10 OS X Yosemite: Supported digital camera RAW formats - Apple Support

Maybe the issue is that I could select Adobe Photoshop Elements as the photo editor in iPhoto preferences . Photos does not have this external editor feature.Help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Flash player 10.3.183.7

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 10:52 PM

35 replies

Jul 26, 2017 5:35 PM in response to black99S

Check this out ... I use a Fuji camera and I have the new Sierra software in my computer and I use the latest in Photos App. There is a way to get RAW files only or JPEG files only into the Photos App. I found this on: http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2016/9/how-to-import-just-raw-o r-just-jpeg-files-into-apple-photos

This site will show you how to do it very clearly. It works. It means one other step before you import, but it's worth it.

Jul 26, 2017 5:38 PM in response to black99S

Check this out ... I use a Fuji camera and I have the new Sierra software in my computer and I use the latest in Photos App. There is a way to get RAW files only or JPEG files only into the Photos App. I found this on: http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2016/9/how-to-import-just-raw-o r-just-jpeg-files-into-apple-photos

This site will show you how to do it very clearly. It works. It means one other step before you import, but it's worth it.

Apr 15, 2015 12:51 AM in response to black99S

Photos does import both the Raw and the Jpeg versions but they are stacked. Go to edit the shot and you'll be given a choice between editing the Raw or the Jpeg. The J means that it's a stack and you're looking at the Jpeg version.

Not sure why you would shoot both, as importing a raw give you a Jpeg preview anyway.

Apr 14, 2015 11:09 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but...

When I double click the image and select 'edit' I'm given no choice, only the JPG image opens for editing.

When I 'get Info' on the 'stacked' shot in Photos, there is only information about the JPG image, file size 4.7MB. Usually the RAW image would be 11-12MB

I shoot both as quite often I'll use the JPG as is for sharing, but for pictures I want to print, push or play with I'll work with the RAW image.

Apr 15, 2015 12:51 AM in response to markwmsn

Solved.

Thanks to Terence Devlin for describing the meaning of the shadowed J box in bottom LH corner = 'stacked' JPG & RAW images; both are imported.

Thanks to Markwmsn for describing how to access the RAW image. Double click the image, click edit in the picture frame, THEN go to the pull down menu 'Image' to select use RAW as original.

Not intuitively obvious.

Apr 15, 2015 12:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

Photos does import both the Raw and the Jpeg versions but they are stacked. Go to edit the shot and you'll be given a choice between editing the Raw or the Jpeg. The J means that it's a stack and you're looking at the Jpeg version.

Not sure why you would shoot both, as importing a raw give you a Jpeg preview anyway.

Often the JPG of the pair can be quite adequate without any need for significant processing, the RAW can then be a fallback should the in-camera exposure/metering used have not provided a satisfactory result.

Equally, I believe shooting both offers people who need to do so, the ability to cut initial time expenditure in post-processing say if producing a portfolio of images for a client to narrow down which once selected can be optimised by using the RAW files. Admittedly perhaps the JPG preview files are much better quality than they used to be years ago.

Personal choice at the end of the day I guess, but I prefer the more flexible approach shooting RAW/JPG pairs gives me. If I could only shoot one it would be RAW naturally as I'm more likely to be able to salvage a bad shot - Many cameras also give the option to save the pairs at differing resolution.

Apr 15, 2015 1:04 AM in response to black99S

black99S wrote:

Solved.

Thanks to Terence Devlin for describing the meaning of the shadowed J box in bottom LH corner = 'stacked' JPG & RAW images; both are imported.

Thanks to Markwmsn for describing how to access the RAW image. Double click the image, click edit in the picture frame, THEN go to the pull down menu 'Image' to select use RAW as original.

Not intuitively obvious.

No it's not at all. I've not fiddled much with Photos since the official release and was scratching my head wondering why the 'Use RAW as Original' was greyed out in thumbnail mode.

There is a bigger issue - there is no global setting to choose RAW or JPG as the original on import or migration AFAICS.

So with only a small test library with maybe 500 RAW/JPG pairs, there is no easy way to perhaps select a batch of 10 thumbnails using JPG which look a tad over or underexposed and to select 'Use RAW' for that group - you would have to set this manually for every one, what a chore.

small J icon on the bottom left corner

Apr 23, 2015 11:40 PM in response to black99S

My old workflow was: shoot RAW+JPEG. Import only JPEG. Select keepers. For images that need extra post processing (quite rare nowadays), import RAW versions.

I would like to achieve something similar with Photos for OS X if possible. The reason to not keep all RAW files is purely related to storage needs and related costs.

Is it possible to delete the RAW or JPEG version of the file after import? Or choose to import only JPEG from the pair?

Apr 27, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Often the JPG of the pair can be quite adequate without any need for significant processing, the RAW can then be a fallback should the in-camera exposure/metering used have not provided a satisfactory result.

If the shot is good, then the Jpeg preview created by the app will be as good as the Jpeg from the camera. See? If the shot needs work then you've got the Raw anyway...

Apr 27, 2015 11:43 PM in response to Yer_Man

If the shot is good, then the Jpeg preview created by the app will be as good as the Jpeg from the camera. See?

My camera's JPEG processing is almost always better than the default JPEGs created by either Aperture or Photos for OS X. Not to mention the time needed to create them in the applications, which slows down the import process quite a bit. Therefore I want the JPG from the camera. See?

If the shot needs work then you've got the Raw anyway...

If the shot doesn't need work I'd like to throw the RAW away and not pay for the storage it uses up (locally and in the cloud).

Any idea on how to do that?

RAW file import to Photos; OS X 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.