Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari is unusable

I have a new MB pro (early 2015). Latest updates (as of today). Yosemite (or something) has broken a bunch of things. I am having constantly to restart because of freezing/strange behavior. Safari is unstable - won't load certain pages/takes forever to load/freezes. I've disable all third party extensions, etc., nothing helps. I switched to chrome and everything works fine. I don't know if it's worth going back to safari. Apple does not seem responsive to yosemite/safari problems. Does anyone know if they monitor these discussions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 5:13 AM

26 replies

Apr 15, 2015 7:07 AM in response to RayN122

Same here. Over the past few weeks Safari has become unusable. Perhaps since the 10.10.3 upgrade. Sites like Facebook, LinkedIn, even Google either don't respond at all or take minutes to load. And of course, everything works fine in Chrome. I removed all the temporary files & cookies. I cleared the downloads window. I turned off that power saving thing. Those helped a little. But Safari has gotten slower and slower and slower over the years, not faster.

Apr 15, 2015 7:57 AM in response to RayN122

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Apr 15, 2015 10:36 AM in response to russnem

I am absolutely with you guys. My Safari browsing is tediously slow. I have version 8.0.5, an i7 iMac 5K 4 ghz and 16GB of RAM. An expensive piece of kit, but when it comes to Safari browsing it could be 20 years old! It is clearly something to do with the software. I am under Applecare and have contacted Support twice, with no improvement. Contacting them, in itself, is a trauma, with waits of 15-20 mins the norm now. Apples success has obviously outstripped its ability to support the customer. There are many messages on this forum, indicating that this is not an isolated incident, but no one in Apple seems to be able to sort it. I have been totally loyal to Apple and want to continue to use their software, particularly Safari, but I am now having to consider alternative browsers, as currently Safari is spoiling my enjoyment. Any suggestions?

Apr 15, 2015 12:11 PM in response to RayN122

I had this same problem since upgrading to 10.10.3 this week.

It seems to be 1 out of every 5 web pages is slow to load. Sometimes it is a few in a row. Sometimes 10 in a row are ok. Sometimes it is just about 1 in 5 or so. There is no rhyme or reason to it. The page will just start to load and the blue bar stops about 1/5 of the way across. If I put the cursor in the URL bar and hit enter, Safari snaps out of it and loads the page quickly. Sometimes even that fails, however (about 1 in 5 roughly). It is not isolated to one site, it is all of the sites I browse, rather evenly spread out.

I've never used Chrome before, but I just installed that. No issues at all. No other network apps seem to have problems, although the App Store seems intermittently slow. I'm not clear that's related at all.

Side by side, I can browse the same sites with Chrome and Safari, with Chrome always getting to the site quickly. Safari is always slower, but occasionally just freezing- and needing further action like described above to continue to make progress.

For now, I'm done with Safari. I have been telling everyone to use Safari because it is Apple's own browser, and that it MUST be more stable than a third party. After all, it is basically built into the OS. Not so much anymore.

Apr 16, 2015 11:03 AM in response to billbir

It seems good, but I'd prefer Safari myself, partly for same reason as you. I don't like extra third party stuff around if I can help it.

For whatever reason, Safari is fast again today. No freezes at all. There's another thread here that a guy said the same thing. Magically fixed today. I did nothing, but Safari stopped freezing. I'm gonna stay with Safari until next time, and I'll try Chrome again if Safari has issues.

Apr 16, 2015 12:01 PM in response to billbir

Sorry to hear. It is so frustrating, I know.

I saw general slowness in Safari and App Store for a few days after upgrading to 10.10.3 and to the new Photos app (from iPhoto). It was driving me nuts, because everything else seemed fast. I would load the same page in Chrome and Safari and the difference was night and day. Safari would often freeze and need help by resetting the page launch, Chrome would never blink and get their fast.

Then poof, today I saw another guy say that his Safari was faster so I switched back. Mine was too. We are both Verizon Fios, if that has any bearing. Doubt it does.

I am annoyed that installing Chrome also installed a bunch of other icons in my App folder: Gmail, Google Drive, etc. I just wanted Chrome- not the other stuff. If Safari stays healthy for a while, I'll uninstall the Google apps. Chrome seems like it is a good browser, but keep is simple, I say.

Apr 30, 2015 9:48 PM in response to RayN122

You could try this:

Open Finder

Select Go Menu from top menu bar

Hold down Option Key to access the Library

Open the Saved Application State Folder

Move the folder com.apple.Safari.savedState to the desktop

You can also access this quickly by choosing the Go Menu in the menu bar and selecting Go To Folder and pasting the path below in there

~/Library/Saved Application State

Quit Safari and then reopen and see if it's fixed.

If it is just delete the file from your Desktop. 🙂

Post Back and let us know

safari is unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.