Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hyperlink not woking

Hyperlinks seem to be seriously broken in Keynote 6.5.2 (Yosemite 10.10.3).

I want to link from an image on a slide to a webpage that I have stored locally on my Mac.

The URL is, for instance,

file:///Users/zach/quadtree.html

But I keep getting the error message "This link doesn't seem to be working."

This is a real show stopper for me.

In addition, the little popup GUI (which you get with CMD-K) often displays the wrong hyperlink, expecially when there are several images on the slide with different hyperlinks :-(

If anyone has a solution or a hint or a suggestions to my problem with the hyperlink to a local webpage, I'd appreciate it very much!

Best regards, Gabriel

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 5:23 AM

Hyperlinking to any file is deliberately blocked in Keynote. Only live online webpages starting with an http or www prefix is allowed.

7 replies

Apr 16, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I'd like to use Keynote, instead of PPT, but for my lectures, I really need to be able to open local web pages and other local demos.

I've got some demos in my lecture that are programmed in shockwave, some are javascript or java applets in the browser, some are regular applications that I start up via a shell script.

And I really need to run all those demos from the slides.

Do you know any workaround that would let me fire up those demos by clicking on an image on a slide in Keynote?

Best regards, Gabriel

Apr 17, 2015 10:05 AM in response to Sparkleberry

Would it be possible, somehow, to start up a shell script from a running Keynote presentation by clicking on an image?

That also works in PPT (it starts then a new Terminal window, and in that Terminal window runs the shell script.)

The shell script resides on my local disk.

That shell script could then run the applet using appletviewer.

That is something I will need in any case, if I want to switch to Keynote, because a number of the demos in my presentations are

just regular executables (compiled from C source code).

And I really don't understand , why local files should be a security risk -- it's the remote web content that could cause a risk.

The local stuff is something I downloaded deliberately myself, so Keynote/Apple can expect me to know what I'm doing ...

Hyperlink not woking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.