Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage and Facetime not working in 8.3 (iPad 3 Wifi)

After updating to iOS 8.3 iMessage and Facetime is no longer working. iMessage receives messages now and then but is extremely unresponsive, often crashes, and usually only the last message shows. Some of the older ones show at times, but most seems gone. The Messages and Facetime tab in Settings also are extremely unresponsive..takes about half a minute to open. Usually, but not always, I'm told to log on with my Apple ID, which it won't do.

I tried calling my iPad with Facetime. Nothing. Half an hour later it suddenly rang once...

Apps closed, iPad restarted several times to no avail.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 9:32 AM

63 replies

Apr 17, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Heisann

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities

What I would suggest doing is signing out of both services and then rebooting your iPad.

iMessage

Settings --> Messages --> Sign Out

FaceTime

Settings --> FaceTime --> Sign Out

Once your iPad has finished rebooting than sign back into iMessage and FaceTime.

As a side question, are you using Apple's 2 Step Verification for your Apple ID? This is a setting you manually have to turn on so chances are, if you didn't turn it on than you don't have 2 Step Verification.

Apr 17, 2015 9:00 AM in response to QuickPost

Yes. Took me some time to be able to sign out but I managed in the end. Same problem after rebooting and turning it back on. The Messages and Facetime section in Settings is no longer unresponsive though, but the Messages app is. It is extremely slow, and will only show the very last messages. If I try to scroll backwards it just gets stuck with the busy wheel. It may fetch some older messages after several minutes but will usually just hang and eventually crash.

Apr 17, 2015 9:57 AM in response to QuickPost

I just bought an iPad 3 mini WiFi only and I am also not able to login on iMessage and FaceTime. All other logins seem to be working fine, browsing works fine, but these two applications fail.

Considering that I bought this for my mother because it is the simplest to use, I am quite disappointed to say the least.

Do you have a more useful input than resetting and rebooting? These are quite useless!

Thanks,

Jean Paul

Apr 18, 2015 6:18 AM in response to Heisann

I also have this very same issue. It starts doing this if I try to delete an individual message thread in messages. I then have to reboot the device and the deleted message thread reappears (does not delete). It works fine as long as I don't try to delete an individual text message thread after a fresh reboot. As a matter of fact, I have been unable to delete any individual text message threads in messages since this issue started.

This all started with one of the IOS 8 updates.

Apr 24, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Heisann

I have spent several days trying to fix this, with no luck. I have done everything except a clean erase of my iPad 2 wifi. (I depend upon messages on the iPad as the wi Fi on my iPhone 4S has been grayed out for over a year, another unsolvable epidemic.). The iPad has worked like a champ on iOS 6+ for several years. I regret updating to iOS 8.3. I can live without Facetime, but not iMessage. I have tried to delete all message threads, but they just come back every time I reboot. I have deleted all of them on the iPhone however. All other wifi functions are working. It is clear to me that the problem lies with iOS 8.3 and the message app. I am now debating doing a factory reset, a big deal as my whole work portfolio is on there... I'm thinking that if the inability to delete message threads has anything to do with it, a clean erase would take care of that, at least. It's my last hope.

iMessage and Facetime not working in 8.3 (iPad 3 Wifi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.