Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and drop from Photos? Nope.

I'm noticing that drag and drop from Photos to anything does not work. Its like we're going backwards in time. It seems ridiculous that we have to go through the Export function to get images out of the application. Why Apple?

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 3:06 PM

211 replies

Feb 9, 2017 8:41 AM in response to peterfrombad homburg v.d.h.

It's the 3rd party apps that have to be rewritten and updated to work with Sierra and Photos. If you get the new Photoshop or MS Office or any app it can be dragged and dropped or the library accessed via the File ➙ Open window and the Media Browser like this window in Firefox:

User uploaded file

Apple provided the 3rd party developers with a beta version long before Sierra was released to the public so they could update their apps to work with Sierra. So either update to the latest version of the apps you're using or complain to those developer's.

User uploaded file

Feb 13, 2017 11:41 AM in response to laksjfas-flawejlwfja-lsdkfja-w__

but I can't figure out how to drag OUT only file export if you want the original quality

What's "original quality", exactly? There is no version of iPhoto, Aperture or Photos that reliably yielded a copy of the original by drag and drop. Drag and drop was always (and continues to be) designed to use the preview version of the image. This is a medium quality version of the image.

"Always up to date" is unclear. You'd be surprised what people call 'up-to-date'. Best to tell us the versions you have.

Bearing in mind the above:

I can drag an image from the Photos window to Messages app. Without knowing what versions of these app you have there's not more to be said. It works. I get a preview of the image in the Messages window.

There is no version of iPhoto or Photos (nor indeed Aperture) that used drag and drop to bring the image to an editor. In iPhoto, you used the External editor option, and in Photos you use the Extensions module in the Edit pane. As Photoshop - and note this is a decision by Adobe - does not support extensions, you'll need to purchase the External Editors extension from the App Store. it's cheap: https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/external-editors-for-photos/id1074021862?mt=12

Again, there is no version of iPhoto or Photos (nor indeed Aperture) that used drag and drop to bring a full quality image to Illustrator. Never was. Export, like you had to do in the other apps.

Mail: Drag from the Photos Window works. As does Share to, as does the Media Browser.

so far my only resort has been screen shot to desktop OR screenshot to clipboard > paste.

Neither of these will result in anything remotely like a full quality version of the image.

Feb 14, 2017 8:14 AM in response to StealthRocket

I've contacted support more than once to add my voice of concern over this omission. The extra steps are at best frustrating. So many of us committed to iPhoto, so the prospect of transferring to something else is not attractive, especially with the likelihood of losing any organization or image notation.

Some good news: While you still can't drag and drop into Safari, you can now edit in whatever third party application without exporting first or re-importing afterward through this Photos extension. It's a few more clicks than before, but a better workflow than without. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/external-editors-for-photos/id1074021862?mt=12

May 19, 2017 2:16 PM in response to iLublo

Learn how Photos works or you will continue to be frustrated - Show in finder is only available for referenced photos (which are strongly NOT recommended in Photos - Disadvantages of a Referenced Library in Photos

And if you are trying to directly access your photos using the finder then you can not - that is not possible with Photos - if you want to directly access photos you have to use a different photo manager

In short Photos is a new program with totally new workflows and features adn if you continue to try to use it like you used previous programs it simply will not work for you - learn Photos and use it the way it works or change to a program that works like you want

LN

Jul 26, 2017 1:43 PM in response to Csound1

no, Winstons reply is not on point, its blatantly nonsense. he said : 'in actual fact the number of people that claim not to be able to drag photos into Mail is just one, which is you.' But another person started this thread, as I said. ergo, its not just me. and, a quick search reveals multiple threads on the same problem, eg How on earth do I send photos via the new "Photos" application??? with another 460 people having the same problem.

Why dont you actually check that out before deciding theres no problem? You have a Level 9 rep whatever that is, so you must be some sort of expert. People are posting here for help.

Sep 3, 2017 9:48 AM in response to Mel Windham

If your comments are being deleted it is because you are violating the TOU - and being fragrant since the hosts seldom delete comments even nasty ones

and not only do you not follow the TOU ut you fail to understand that NO ONE here works for aPple and NO ONE here can change anything

And no on ehere is defending anything or making excuses for anything - we are experienced users who understand that we can not change anything so we explain how the software works - if you do not like it then you need to accept it for what it is or switch to something that does what you want - nothing you say here is ever going to cause a change in the software nor is it likely that Apple will provided custom software to meet your personal desirous - that is not the business they are in

SO read and follow the TOU and stop attacking people and you will be fine - keep up the attacks and you will continue to have problems and eventually you will be gone

LN

Sep 3, 2017 11:53 PM in response to Mel Windham

I just think that the original ask in this thread is a very reasonable thing to ask. Apple claims "drag and drop" functionality in conjunction with Photos. It works in some places, and in other places it doesn't.

As you observed - drag and drop is working for some destinations and others not.There are two major reasons for this:

• The recipient application has to be updated to accept drag-and-drop, each application individually. Older applications have to be programmed to communicate with Photos.
  • Apple is favoring the full screen mode now. If you are only seeing one application window, you can copy and paste, but not drag and drop.

Jan 5, 2017 2:46 PM in response to sitein

The manufacture I most want to solve this is apple!

I doubt that Apple will update Microsoft software for you. If you use Apple's own applications in the most recent versions, you can drag and drop again from Photos in many of them - I can drag into a New Message window in Mail, a Pages document, a Keynote document.

Jan 6, 2017 3:23 AM in response to artist999

This is how it works. The OS maker - whether it be Apple, MS or any of the Linux flavours - develop and adapt the OS over time. Then the Application maker responds to those developments. To facilitate this all the OS makers run Beta programs and are in regular contact with the Application makers to facilitate the timely update of their applications.

This is because the global environment, things like data security and so on - is the responsibility of the OS maker. The application operates within this environment and has to adapt to it as it changes.

So there really is a solution and it's simple: the application maker needs to update their app. If the application maker is not offering an update to work with the OS, then the faliure here is with the application maker, not the OS maker.

So have the courage to make your complaint where it belongs.

Jan 6, 2017 3:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

So there really is a solution and it's simple: the application maker needs to update their app. . If the application maker is not offering an update to work with the OS, then the faliure here is with the application maker, not the OS maker.

And the customers have to be prepared to purchase the updated or upgraded the third party apps, if they are upgrading to a new version of the operating system. The Microsoft office applications have been updated last year, but not everyone is ready to upgrade from Office 2011 to the newer version. But installing a new version of an operating system is pulling out the foundations that older software has been built on. And thus the older software may crash or stop working.

Drag and drop from Photos? Nope.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.