Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto titles lost in conversion to Photos

The conversion to Photos seem to have gone rather well in my case, except that about 25% (roughly 6,000 images) of my photos lost their titles in the process. Anyone else experienced this?

Or better yet, a solution beyond copying and pasting every missing title from iPhoto?

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 11:25 PM

Have the titles been the original filenames?

iPhoto did display the filename as title, if the photo did not have a title, but Photos does not show a title, unless it has a title assigned.

You can copy and paste the filenames to the title or use a script to do that automatically:

I posted an Automator workflow here: Re: iPhotos to Photos loses people's names

(the fourth post on the page).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2015 11:25 PM in response to BJ4Rock

Have the titles been the original filenames?

iPhoto did display the filename as title, if the photo did not have a title, but Photos does not show a title, unless it has a title assigned.

You can copy and paste the filenames to the title or use a script to do that automatically:

I posted an Automator workflow here: Re: iPhotos to Photos loses people's names

(the fourth post on the page).

Apr 15, 2015 11:33 PM in response to léonie

Hi, Léonie,

The titles were not the original file names, I have very diligently given all of my photos "proper" titles (so the file names are typically IMG_xxxxx). I have double-checked a number of the affected photos, and the "proper" title shows up fine i iPhoto. For the 75% of the rest of the library, the titles were carried over to Photos (and show when I choose the title metadata to be displayed).

I look at the thread with the automator workflow, and it seems that would have worked nicely if my titles also were file names... When that is not the case, I might have some days work ahead of my copying and pasting manually?

Apr 17, 2015 11:36 PM in response to invenio

Well, I created a smart album to find photos with no title. I see the number of photos in that album, and I know the total number of Photos I have, that gives about 25%.

What I have discovered now is that most, if not absolutely all, of these, are photos I have scanned from negatives and given "real" file names (i.e., nit the typical IMG_xxxx from a camera) before they were imported into iPhoto. Don't know why these should not have a title in Photos, but if this script works, it means it's quick to fix.

Apr 18, 2015 12:32 AM in response to BJ4Rock

What I have discovered now is that most, if not absolutely all, of these, are photos I have scanned from negatives and given "real" file names (i.e., nit the typical IMG_xxxx from a camera) before they were imported into iPhoto. Don't know why these should not have a title in Photos, but if this script works, it means it's quick to fix.

Unlike iPhoto, Photos does not use the filename as default title, if no title has been assigned. The script is supposed to create an iPTC tag that Photos will accept as a valid title by copying the filename to the title tag.

Apr 18, 2015 4:37 AM in response to léonie

What ever. The solution for me is to purchase iLife from Amazon, upgrade iPhoto to 9 lvl and then onto to Yosemite and 9.6.1. I didn't see this problem coming. I use iPhoto as a digital photo album doing nothing more then slight editing of photos whether scan or camera imported.

In hindsight, I should have been upgrading the revision lvl of iPhoto which I wasn't thinking that the auto upgrade function built into the Apple system was "watching out for me"

iPhoto titles lost in conversion to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.