Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjustments not working in Edit mode using Photos

MacBook Pro OS 10.10.3

Does anyone know why Adjustments in Edit mode of Photos will not preview or be added to photos that I've just taken on my iPhone and am trying to edit on my MacBook?

Cropping works, the Filters work, but Enhance or making individual changes to Contrast, Light etc. using Adjustments, do not show up in the preview or make any differences appear in the photo.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 7:20 AM

Cropping works, the Filters work, but Enhance or making individual changes to Contrast, Light etc. using Adjustments, do not show up in the preview or make any differences appear in the photo.

How are you transferring the photos? By USB connection or in iCloud Photo Library? Photo Stream?

20 replies

Apr 16, 2015 6:29 PM in response to stór_björn

It appears to be permissions related. Go to ~/Pictures/Photos Library (Or whatever your library is named) and use File-Get Info to bring up the Information Window. Then at the bottom, go to Sharing and Permissions. Make sure your user is listed as 'Read & Write' (typically, others should be listed as 'Read only'. If necessary, you may consider unlocking permissions and applying those permissions to all enclosed items. This should resolve the editing issue.

Apr 23, 2015 10:14 PM in response to theSaxman

i'm having the same problem. the permissions on the library are set already for me to read and write. any other suggestions? it's really absurd that it doesn't work. perhaps it's because i used the beta version? that one worked fine. but, not now.

edit - i actually went into the package, and the source original image files also have their permissions set to read & write. actually, every top level folder within the package is set that way, and on none of them is the option to apple permissions to folder contents available (grayed out). so... does not seem like a permissions problem at all.

also, noticed - on one image, i am using "black and white" - even the very small adjustment slider in the right side panel does not show as black and white, it's just the original image! all the adjustment sliders with an image preview within them are the same, not matter what attribute they should be adjusting. so, something is likely fundamentally wrong with the app. extremely disappointed. i am trying to do some quick adjustments for a client request.

Oct 29, 2015 2:49 PM in response to GreginOregon

Same here. Just unbelievable. Apple abandons Aperture, with images cataloged in an untouchable 'library' and claims Photos will replace Aperture. Even on the surface it isn't in the same ballpark as Aperture and the few meager adjustments it offers do not work and have not worked for months with no fix forthcoming.

I hate Adobe Lightroom and its monthly fee.

So Apple has really left us dedicated Aperture users in the lurch. I remember when Apple was the good guy and Microsoft was the bad guy. Well, its 1984 all over again but the Mac is not platform to lead us out of the monolith.....it is the monolith.

Oct 30, 2015 1:11 AM in response to GTB

GTB wrote:

Same here. Just unbelievable. Apple abandons Aperture, with images cataloged in an untouchable 'library' and claims Photos will replace Aperture. Even on the surface it isn't in the same ballpark as Aperture and the few meager adjustments it offers do not work and have not worked for months with no fix forthcoming.

I hate Adobe Lightroom and its monthly fee.

So Apple has really left us dedicated Aperture users in the lurch. I remember when Apple was the good guy and Microsoft was the bad guy. Well, its 1984 all over again but the Mac is not platform to lead us out of the monolith.....it is the monolith.

aApple did not claim to provide a replacement for Aperture. it just stopped the future development. photos is a work-around for Aperture users to be able to access the Aperture libraries and migrate them to another professional application.

Oct 30, 2015 5:09 AM in response to léonie

Sounds like semantics to me. Regardless, if you read any of the trade magazine headlines, Photos was definitely touted as the alternative to Aperture and not just as a method for migration. And regardless, 6 months in an Photos will not reliably allow adjustments. What more needs to be said?

Oct 30, 2015 5:28 AM in response to GTB

Sounds like semantics to me. Regardless, if you read any of the trade magazine headlines, Photos was definitely touted as the alternative to Aperture and not just as a method for migration.

But never by Apple.

The problem was, that Apple never made official announcements about the future of Aperture, and so we only had the speculations in the media.

There was just this short announcement to selected journalists: https://photoapps.expert/tips/2014/6/27/aperture-dead-long-live-photos#.VjNgwl92 BSW

“With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X.” — Apple, Inc.

Promise at all about professional level image software in Photos.

Adjustments not working in Edit mode using Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.