Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Touch 5th Gen Black Screen - device inop

My daughter has an Ipod Touch 5th generation she received fro christmas in 2013. Yesterday she came home from school to find the screen black and the device non-responsive. Pressing or hold the power or volume buttons gives us no result. One thing we noticed right away was that the home button appeared not to work. When pressing down and releasing there is no click or apparent movement in the button. I do not know if this is normal, but from my searching it appears not to be. When attached to the computer, Itunes does not recognize the device. It sees no device at all. This Ipod stays in an Otterbox Defender case at all times.

My solution attempts:

1) Charge Ipod to ensure battery is not dead.

2) Attempting to clean the home button with isopropyl alchol. The ipod was held in an upright position the entire time to facilitate drainage and prevent the alcohol from getting under the screen.

3) Attach ipod to computer to see if Itunes found device.

4) Hard reset by holding power button and home button for over 10 seconds.

Questions:

1) Is home button supposed to click or move up and down?

2) Is the black screen/non-response related?

3) If 2 is correct,how do I go about fixing said button?

4) What is the warranty on these? I cannot give you more information other that Dec 2013 it was received by daughter and model number on back is A1421.

I have no idea what version of OS it has on it.

iPod touch, 5th gen ipod.

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 2:27 PM

3 replies

Apr 17, 2015 2:51 PM in response to bc320

With the serial number you can check warranty coverage here.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Unless you purchased the optional AppleCare extended warranty the coverage is for one year.

Try this:

Turn on without Home/Power Button

Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one for $99 for 16 GB 5G and $149 for the other 5Gs. They do not fix yours.

Apple - iPod Repair price

A third-party place like the following maybe less. Google for more.

iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens

FIx it yourself if you are up to it. If you take it apart the iPod is no longer eligible for the exchange discussed above.

iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

Ipod Touch 5th Gen Black Screen - device inop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.