Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I diagnose and remove iPhone viruses?

I think my iPhone (iOS8) has a virus. There is a noticeable decrease in the battery life. Also, the Lifelock app popped up, giving a warning.

I tried downloading Avira (I use it on laptop), but it apparently isn't available.

I need something that will scan, diagnose and remove the virus(es). Any suggestions?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 2:43 PM

25 replies

Oct 22, 2017 11:46 PM in response to MikalanMedia

it appears I have a cloned phone with IP address in Seattle, I'm in Portland.

It doesn't mean anything. The IP location if often far from your actual location.

https://support.apple.com/HT204915

"When you sign in on a new device, you’ll get a notification on your other trusted devices that includes a map showing the approximate location of the new device. This is an approximate location based on the IP address the device is currently using, rather than the exact location of the device. The location shown might reflect the network you're connected to, and not your physical location."

Sep 1, 2017 5:41 PM in response to Junebug67

You definitely don't have any viruses. There have been a plague of these lately. And not the usual scam to call a number where they'll try and bilk you out of as much money as they can. Many of these newer ones are intended to get you to buy worthless AV software from the App Store. In other words, a scam to get you to buy software to "clean" up their own scam.

What's the exact name of the app. I'd like to try it and see if I get the same results. If I do, I will, without the slightest hesitation, report this scam behavior to Apple and get their developer ID revoked.

Oct 11, 2017 5:13 AM in response to Wolfluke

No one would bother to write malware that causes a device's battery to drain. What would be the point, or goal?

Double tap the home button to call up the app switcher screen. Drag Safari up and off the screen. This closes the app. Go to Settings. Tap Safari and choose to clear all web data. That will clear the scam messages in your browser.

Or, will until you visit the site that caused it to appear in the first place. Remember, every single one of these scam notices comes from the site it appears at. They aren't random. Go to the same site, you'll get the same message.

As far as the battery, take the phone to an Apple Store and have them look it over.

Oct 22, 2017 11:26 PM in response to Kurt Lang

My phone was jail broken and spyware installed. I know I can completely wipe it and do a factory reset but I would like to know, like the original question, what app can be used to scan an iPhone for security threats. And is there a way to find out what spyware was used so I can be more knowledgeable. I don't know exactly who did this as many have access to my phone III I'm sleeping. I get confused as it appears I have a cloned phone with IP address in Seattle, I'm in Portland. So for all I know there are a couple threats. Any advice for good security or a counter attack would be excellent!

Oct 23, 2017 1:27 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you for your quick response.

That's what I have been told before and I have also been attacked by some well known ex employees of Apple in the Seattle area. I've had a 8 computer network sucked dry and wiped. So I'm a little paranoid. When I run security checks through google it shows my device and my name as shows on my "find my iPhone", and my IP address in Portland, then it will show a "new device" with no name, no IP or I trace it to Seattle. can it be possible to have my IP address show my location one minute then I'm in another state on a "new device" the next. The security also showed I had at least 8 open connections. Are those apps or browsers I have left open on my phone or tablet?

Oct 23, 2017 6:49 AM in response to MikalanMedia

There is no software that can scan an iOS device, because iOS does not let applications access data from other apps or from system files.

Anyway, how do you know your phone was jailbroken? To jailbreak a phone someone knowledgeable in the process must have physical possession of your phone for a period of time while it was unlocked. Did this actually happen? Do you not have a screen passcode? If it was jailbroken, there will most likely be an app called "cydia" on the screen. Do you see such an app? If you use the search function and enter "cydia" it will display it if it exists, even if you don't see it by manually searching. But if you have a screen lock code on your phone you can be pretty sure it was not jailbroken.

The IP address proves nothing. IP addresses do not contain location information. If you are connected to cellular data your IP address will actually be the IP address of your carrier's connection to the Internet. It has nothing to do with the physical location of your phone.

Apr 17, 2015 2:50 PM in response to durlord

Unless you jailbroke your device there is no way for malware to get on it. It is possible to get pop-ups in Safari and bad links in Mail, but they affect Windows not iPhones. So whatever you see most likely is is phishing or scamware. If it's in Safari, then quit Safari. Tab Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data. Turn on Block Pop-ups.

How do I diagnose and remove iPhone viruses?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.