Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.2 identifies C100mkII AVCHD as interlaced

When I import Canon C100mkII media FCPX 10.2 identifies the clips as 29.97i - but they don't look interlaced. When I set the project to assume the properties of the fist clip, the project has a frame rate of 29.97i. Is this an issue with FCPX or with Canon internal CODEC? Does anyone else notice this? The media doesn't look interlaced, and the setting I chose in the C100mkII menu is AVCHD, 24Mb/s 1920 x 1080, 29.97p.

Thanks for any help - Stephen

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 4:02 PM

23 replies

Apr 18, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Hi Meg - thanks for the quick reply and link - I'll search it as the link doesn't work, (probably for the reason Tom posted above).

But although I haven't seen the explanation on Canon's 30p in a 60i container, I think the internal AVCHD CODEC recorded to SD card is actually a progressive file, not interlaced. Also, I'm an older guy and I was doing this back when everything was interlaced, and I know what interlaced media looks like, and the C100mkII media is not looking like interlaced, it looks progressive. The HDMI signal that the C100mkII outputs when the record setting is set to 29.97, (and also when it's set to 23.98) is 60i (59.94i) - and I've confirmed that; my Ninja 2 has to employ a 2:3 pull-down in order to obtain the progressive signal, but internally it should be progressive.

Regardless, I still need to find your link and at least bone up on it. Thanks again for your help - I'll check it out. -s

Apr 18, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

I could have set the project 1080p / 29.97, but instead I choose to let the project assume the first clips' properties, which I am still pretty sure is progressive, but next time I work with AVCHD clips from the C100mkII I'll choose the project properties manually. When I do, how will that affect my clips? Will they simply need to be rendered? I'm very picky about quality and I try to use a workflow that doesn't unnecessarily process my clips; y'know - I don't want to convert them from something to something else unless it absolutely has to happen.

In the meantime, I'll be shooting on the Ninja 2, but another bummer (at least in my own opinion) is that the HDMI output is 59.94i and so the Ninja 2 is already employing a 2:3 pull-down, so to me, that's not as ideal as getting a true 29.97p signal out of the Canon C100mkII. I've asked Canon to look into making that happen as it can output a true 60p (59.94p) in 1080, probably thanks to the Digic DV 4 processor, so why it can't do that for half the frame rate is weird.

Apr 18, 2015 5:38 PM in response to yet another...

As the article explains the Canon 30 is two duplicate fields recorded in an interlaced frame. It's a really poor solution and is not really a true progressive format. Do NOT rely on the first clip. Set the project to progressive.

59.94i

I've never heard of anything like this. There is no format that is interlaced 59.94. There is only 29.97i or 59.94p.

Apr 18, 2015 5:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom - right, on the C100mkII, the HDMI output is either 59.94i (when internal setting is 29.97p or 23.98p) or it is 59.94p, however "60i" (59.94i) is super common, often used in sports, and Sony holds onto this format with white knuckles - I mean it's nuts, although like I said, it's a BIG broadcast thing especially in sports. My XDCAM cameras are great at sending out 1080 60i, but the biggest chunk of my work is web, and so I'm only interested in shooting progressive.

I just want to make absolutely certain that FCPX isn't misidentifying the AVCHD file format, as it not only states that it is truly progressive, but it even looks progressive.

Here's a link to the "interlaced" edit I just did using a few short clips recorded internally to SD card with the C100mkII settings to 1080p 29.97. Let me know if you think it looks interlaced. Also, you're welcome to inspect the original file by downloading it.

https://vimeo.com/125352301

FCPX 10.2 identifies C100mkII AVCHD as interlaced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.