Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a new AirPort Time Capsule (high tower) time capsule with the old flat Time Capsule

Hello,
I needed extra space for my new files so I got today the new "high tower" AirPort Time Capsule (2TB) which I wanted to connect with my old "flat" Time Capsule (also 2TB). My plan is to have a total 4TB storing space - with access of my old files stored in my old flat Time Capsule and fill up the new "high tower" with new files. I have separate name of "my old file hard disc" on my old flat TC, and given my MacBook a new name so it will not conflict, but clearly separate the two.

Is my vision-plan to have a two unit storing space doable ?

Further more I need to know how to set it up in terms of connection and settings....

What I first did was to have my old set up - my cable internet modem directly connected to my old flat Time Capsule, and just try to connect the new high tower AirPort Time Capsule which did not work (not 100% I did it correctly...). So I google and searched it here. The only similar set up I did find was on YouTube in which a guy did the oppsite of what I did by connecting the cable internet modem to the high tower AirPort Time Capsule (3TB) first (through the "sun" WAN connection), and then plug in the power cable. Then he used the LAN to LAN and then power cable on the old flat Time Capsule (2TB). Here is the YouTube video: Apple 3TB Time Capsule Setup & Review by Techgooch which seems to works for him. But the thing is that he might replace his new (high tower) with the flat one - and I want to use both (not replace it) for the soul purpose of getting more storing

User uploaded file

AirPort Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 4:03 AM

It really doesn't matter which TC is the main router and which is bridged..

The setup is effectively identical..

For speed you want them connected by ethernet.. not wireless as you currently have it.

So setup main router .. which as per your screenshot is the AC model TC and it is running correctly..

Then setup the older TC as follows.

1. You must factory reset.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer but please fix up your names.. at the moment your names are going to be issues.

2. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen4 for old one.. TCgen5 for new one. Use TCwifi for wireless name on both of them.

(If you later have wireless issues, use TC24ghz and TC5ghz for each band and consider using fixed channels)

3. Use all passwords that also comply with above. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

4. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.. So for your old TC.. use a dhcp reservation in the new TC.. as that keeps the IP stable.. this helps no end to keep things working.

5. Check your share name on the computer also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

6. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

7. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet.. this is important.. Apple setup to auto fails 9 times out of 10.. it does not auto to the right setting.

User uploaded file

For the actual setup of the old TC do it manually if the airport utility gives you grief... which it can.

Airtport Utility can't find Airport Time Capsule on either of my 2009 Macs

Here is how to do it with loads of screenshots.. any issues just post again.

Internet tab.. dhcp.

Wireless tab.. create a wireless network.. same name as new TC for roaming.

Network tab.. bridge mode.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2015 4:03 AM in response to PeerNorway

It really doesn't matter which TC is the main router and which is bridged..

The setup is effectively identical..

For speed you want them connected by ethernet.. not wireless as you currently have it.

So setup main router .. which as per your screenshot is the AC model TC and it is running correctly..

Then setup the older TC as follows.

1. You must factory reset.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer but please fix up your names.. at the moment your names are going to be issues.

2. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen4 for old one.. TCgen5 for new one. Use TCwifi for wireless name on both of them.

(If you later have wireless issues, use TC24ghz and TC5ghz for each band and consider using fixed channels)

3. Use all passwords that also comply with above. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

4. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.. So for your old TC.. use a dhcp reservation in the new TC.. as that keeps the IP stable.. this helps no end to keep things working.

5. Check your share name on the computer also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

6. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

7. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet.. this is important.. Apple setup to auto fails 9 times out of 10.. it does not auto to the right setting.

User uploaded file

For the actual setup of the old TC do it manually if the airport utility gives you grief... which it can.

Airtport Utility can't find Airport Time Capsule on either of my 2009 Macs

Here is how to do it with loads of screenshots.. any issues just post again.

Internet tab.. dhcp.

Wireless tab.. create a wireless network.. same name as new TC for roaming.

Network tab.. bridge mode.

Apr 19, 2015 2:42 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hello LaPastenague,

Thank you so much for taking time shearing your knowledge and for your detailed reply. It is much appreciated.

I am glad that this double 2TB (4TB) storage setup will work eventually.

After I failed yesterday (before I wrote my first posting) I had to do the old set up (without the new "high tower" AirPort Time Capsule) to get my internet back. The photo I posted was just something I made in Photoshop to illustrate the setup, without fully knowing that the line between the two TC in the illustration was a WiFi/wireless connection. I will of course connect the two TCs with a ethernet. Sorry about the confusion.
This is the set up I want so I hopefully do not have to do much - other than get factory reset of the new high tower AirPort Time Capsule again, and the connect the two TCs with a ethernet between the two LAN ports (I made the mistake yesterday of connecting LAN in my old flat TC to the WAN port of my new high tower AirPort TC), then plug in the power cable of my new high tower APTC, and then go to step 2-7 ?

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2015 4:03 AM in response to PeerNorway

If you connect the secondary router to the primary one.. and do not use the WAN port on the secondary.. it will get very confused for automatic setup.. this can be a problem.. there is nothing wrong with setting up using wan.. and then swap to LAN once you complete the setup to bridge mode.. the setup utility does work fairly well as long as you give it exactly what it expects.. that does mean you must use the ports apple says you must use.. regardless of their reliability which apple will neither confirm or deny.

It is why I eventually got sick of it and worked out how to do fully manual setups.. the thing is to understand what you are doing.. then manual setup works.. but you can leave it to the utility to do it.. and then edit the result.

Apr 20, 2015 4:03 AM in response to LaPastenague

Okay, so I need to use the WAN port on the "high tower" TC if it is the secondary TC (and LAN port from the "flat" first TC) - during the setup (and factory reset) ?

And when I have finished the setup I just change the ethernet cable to LAN-LAN or is it not necessary ?

By the way, I plan is to only use the "high tower" TC as the new hard disc with the time machine function for my new saved files (new photos, film clips, etc.), and the old "flat" TC as a storing place for my old files (mostly photos, which I sometimes need to look back on but they stay unedited). Which of the two TCs I use as a router for internet, etc. is not so important me - I only want to do what is most optimal.

So maybe I should have the new "high tower" as the first TC and also use that as a router for internet, etc. (which the guy in the video did) - mainly since it will be used as the new storing place for my new photos, film clips, etc. and because it is a newer Apple (improved ?) product- or does it not matter ? My old "flat" TC was bought back in (19th.) July 2012 in the Apple flagship store in Hong Kong Island, and my new "high tower" TC was bought last Saturday (18th. April 2015) .

Apr 20, 2015 5:07 AM in response to PeerNorway

In terms of which one is superior.. from a network routing point of the view.. and this is really based on a somewhat biased point of view the Gen4 (flat one) is really equal to the later one in most respects except the wireless. In terms of CPU the new one is somewhat more powerful but makes poor use of it due to the firmware issues it has.

In a way the Gen 4 is the end of the design path for a design that began at Gen1 TC and was refined over and over.. hardware and firmware..

When apple moved to gen5 they started from scratch.. new processor.. new design.. so in a way it is Gen1 TC all over again.. the hardware is buggy. It desperately needs an update as does the firmware.

So when you actually test disk speed or routing speed.. Gen4 and Gen5 come out near enough to equal. And so use whichever you like as the main router but try the Gen5 and if it misbehaves.. just swap it for the Gen4 and reverse the roles.

Apr 20, 2015 6:45 AM in response to LaPastenague

I finally did it ! The missing links for me was the factory reset, AirPort Utility and the ethernet cable between LAN and WAN - and the rest just went throught without any problems. I am uploading the first Time Machine security backup to my "high tower" AirPort Time Capsule of my MacBook now.

Thank you so much for all your help and efforts in this LaPastenague !

Connecting a new AirPort Time Capsule (high tower) time capsule with the old flat Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.