Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have hidden unwanted books from the purchased area of the iBooks store, but they're are still appearing on the front page of iOS as cloud downloads, is there a way to remove these from iBooks without using the hide iCloud books button?

I have hidden unwanted books from the purchased area of the iBooks store, but they're are still appearing on the front page of iOS as cloud downloads, is there a way to remove these from iBooks without using the hide iCloud books button?

Let me explain a little more. I had downloaded a lot of free books in the past as a trial when iBooks was first released and since then I have decided I no longer want them, because of this I hid them from the purchased section of the iBooks store. The 5 books left are ones I decided to keep as seen in the following picture.

User uploaded file

This is how it appears in iBooks on my mac. There are 4 books downloaded and 1 book that I have decided not to download at this time. I would still like to keep this book available in the cloud incase I want to download it again in the future. You’ll notice that hide iCloud books is not selected, if I wanted to hide the book that I have chosen to keep in the cloud, but have not downloaded yet I could.

User uploaded file

This is exactly how I think this feature should work. If you have hidden a book from your purchases it should not show up in the mac Ibooks app. (I am aware you can never actually delete a purchase, just hide them and that hidden purchases can be restored to your account from within the account management section of the iBooks store).

The iOS app is working differently for me. Here is a picture of the purchased tab on the iBooks store in iOS Ibooks. Again notice that pictures of Lilly is still yet to be downloaded. This is how I expected it to look.

User uploaded file

If we visit the front page of iOS iBooks the view is very different from what I expected. Here we can see the 4 books I wanted to keep on my device and have downloaded. We can also see the 1 book I wanted to keep, but did not want to store locally on the device and left in iCloud (Pictures of Lilly). However we can also see all the books I had hidden from the purchased section of my iTunes account and which I believe should no-longer be visible, Dracula, frankenstein etc…

User uploaded file

I am aware of the hide iCloud books button within the iOS app, but I did not need to use this to hide the books I had removed from the my purchased section of the iBooks store on the mac, why are they still appearing in iOS?

I’m still not sure if this is a software glitch or not. This article suggests to me that books can be hidden, but I had already completed these steps.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322

A browse of google also suggests people may have been able to hide past purchases from the front page of iBooks on iOS in the past.

In case there was an issue with syncing I tried logging in and out of my iTunes account via settings in iOS. Force closing the app, disabling automatic downloads and removing my device from iTunes in the cloud. Syncing with iTunes on the mac did not correct the issue either.

Interestingly I have the same issue on my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.3 as I do on my iPad mini suggesting that this might be an issue either with my account or with iOS iBooks software in general.

If there is a way to remove the already hidden iBooks in your account from the front page of iBooks on iOS without using the hide iCloud downloads button? Please help community!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, Also an issue on my iPad mini iOS 8

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 9:27 PM

7 replies

Apr 19, 2015 10:05 PM in response to chippy_j

My apologies for the lack of photos, here is my post again with photos.

Let me explain a little more. I had downloaded a lot of free books in the past as a trial when iBooks was first released and since then I have decided I no longer want them, because of this I hid them from the purchased section of the iBooks store. The 5 books left are ones I decided to keep as seen in the following picture.

User uploaded file

This is how it appears in iBooks on my mac. There are 4 books downloaded and 1 book that I have decided not to download at this time. I would still like to keep this book available in the cloud incase I want to download it again in the future. You’ll notice that hide iCloud books is not selected, if I wanted to hide the book that I have chosen to keep in the cloud, but have not downloaded yet I could.

User uploaded file

This is exactly how I think this feature should work. If you have hidden a book from your purchases it should not show up in the mac Ibooks app. (I am aware you can never actually delete a purchase, just hide them and that hidden purchases can be restored to your account from within the account management section of the iBooks store).

The iOS app is working differently for me. Here is a picture of the purchased tab on the iBooks store in iOS Ibooks. Again notice that pictures of Lilly is still yet to be downloaded. This is how I expected it to look.

User uploaded file

If we visit the front page of iOS iBooks the view is very different from what I expected. Here we can see the 4 books I wanted to keep on my device and have downloaded. We can also see the 1 book I wanted to keep, but did not want to store locally on the device and left in iCloud (Pictures of Lilly). However we can also see all the books I had hidden from the purchased section of my iTunes account and which I believe should no-longer be visible, Dracula, frankenstein etc…

User uploaded file

I am aware of the hide iCloud books button within the iOS app, but I did not need to use this to hide the books I had removed from the my purchased section of the iBooks store on the mac, why are they still appearing in iOS?

I’m still not sure if this is a software glitch or not. This article suggests to me that books can be hidden, but I had already completed these steps.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322

A browse of google also suggests people may have been able to hide past purchases from the front page of iBooks on iOS in the past.

In case there was an issue with syncing I tried logging in and out of my iTunes account via settings in iOS. Force closing the app, disabling automatic downloads and removing my device from iTunes in the cloud. Syncing with iTunes on the mac did not correct the issue either.

Interestingly I have the same issue on my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.3 as I do on my iPad mini suggesting that this might be an issue either with my account or with iOS iBooks software in general.

If there is a way to remove the already hidden iBooks in your account from the front page of iBooks on iOS without using the hide iCloud downloads button? Please help community!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, Also an issue on my iPad mini iOS 8

Apr 25, 2015 11:24 AM in response to chippy_j

This is a strange bug that drove me crazy. I saw this issue both on my iPhone and iPad. Here is the fix:

In iBooks App on your iOS device, go to Store, scroll all the way down and Sign Off. Then sign back on. The ghosts of the deleted (hidden) books disappear. This also works if you sign off and sign back on in iTune Store App. The Apple ID login to iTunes and iBooks are somehow linked. Signing in or out on either app signs you in or out on both.

Apr 25, 2015 11:29 AM in response to kturedi

Thanks kturedi, it was driving me crazy too! You're an absolute legend!

I went to the 'featured' tab with a star. Scrolled to the bottom, logged out and back in, worked perfectly, both on iPad and iPhone.

I've been having a protracted email discussion with apple support, who didn't seem to be able to understand the issue, they're solutions kept ending with telling me to hide the books using the toggle. They've been telling me this is a feature, I knew that was rubbish.

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2015 12:57 PM in response to chippy_j

Happy to help.

Now onto 999 other problems I see with iTunes and iBooks apps!

I am not sure about the internals of iTunes and iBooks apps on iOS platforms, but on a Mac, iTunes and iBooks apps are essentially glorified web browsers. (Which is OK considering the dynamic content they have to pull from Apple servers). However, if you fire up Safari and clear history and delete cookies, and then open iTunes or iBooks, you will see that some of the "preferences" you set are now reverted to default settings. That is absolutely insane. That means if I want to get rid of the Safari cookies, I have to re-check the options I want in iTunes and iBooks every time.

Apple needs to de-couple Safari, iTunes and iBooks and stop using ancient methods like XML files to manage local content.

I write all this in case you see other problems in one of these apps which may be due to something you did in another app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.